Notices

Thread: Free speech or inciting hatred?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanny View Post
    Well then he's not the sharpest chisel in the box if he doesn't realise that calling me names to my face isn't going to offend me

***Edit to say fair play to him for having the balls to say what he thinks about me to my face
    So you agree with the terrorists then. "Mock me and everything I hold dear and face the consiquences"

Banned
    Absolutely not.

Calling me names isn't going to result in him dying

But it's the same thought process. There would be violence. You would still commit a crime, albeit a lesser one, in the name of what you perceive to be justice.
    To someone who has been radicalised there's no difference. Murder is justified. "These people know if they speak out against us they will pay the price."

Don't get me wrong. I would probably act like you too but I know it's the wrong thing to do.

Banned
    I wouldn't be committing a crime, if it turned physical I would be acting in self defense.

These people are using their religion as an excuse to murder

Quote Originally Posted by wiltshire builders View Post
    You missed out a vital point in your scenarios Ken.
    If Scenario 2 happened should we all be branded violent thugs due to the actions of a minority of the biking community?
    Spot on WB . So if we go back now to the subject of the original post. If a minority group go around beheading and shooting innocent people , and incidentally this minority group truly DO NOT represent Islam or in any way follow the teachings of the Prophet Muhammad , and to quote “The most excellent Jihad is that for the conquest of self.” who could actually argue with that ? . I must point out that I am neither Christian nor Muslim and lean more towards Agnosticism and most likely Atheism , but I reserve judgement until the day I receive definite proof , as is my right . I don't support Christianity or Islam nor any other faith for that matter , and have only ever seen it as a tool which was created and nurtured for one purpose only . To divide and maintain conflict among " ordinary People " That being said , we must strive to accept , support and tolerate another beings right to his or her belief , thought and feeling whatever that may be , if it provides a source of comfort , love and peace in a world which seems more and more to propagate and encourage selfishness , greed , hatred and conflict .
    We must also support and defend another beings right to free speech , but what actually is that , in this day and age . It seems to mean different things in different societies , different cultures and different systems , and definitely has different values and meanings when viewing events from different perspectives . The line has become pretty murky in this diverse and complex world .
    On this small Island and , it appears in the rest of the West , whenever we open a " News " paper or switch on the TV , we're constantly being supplied with information which we're informed really does have our best interest and collective well being and safety as it's motivation . Information that is provided to educate , and serve and protect us ??? We seem to spend our daily lives swimming in such words as " terror " Islam " " national security " Muslim " " fundamentalists " " radicals " "TERROR TERROR TERROR " " War On Terror " We barely get a chance to draw a breath before the next barrage of information hits us in our best interest .
    What happened in Paris is so F*****G abominable I can't begin to imagine and in particular The Charlie Hebdo shootings , as this brings us back to the media's perspective on these events . And after all it was only a cartoon . As Ricky Gervais once said " It's really not possible to cause offence , it's only possible to take offence " And whether the Hebdo publications had gone out or not this minority group of "Criminals" would still be out there doing what they do , not needing any real reason or justification for their actions . That being said WE should know better as THEY clearly don't . But isn't the real issue the fact that the mainstream international media , law makers and political leaders , and let's face it , aren't they really one and the same thing , get hold of this event and wave it around in the name of free speech , when in actual fact it only possibly leads to the alienation of and discrimination towards an entire people , ultimately resulting in further conflict and division . Why would the mainstream media and political leaders want this ??? Ah and the penny drops , or it should do ...............
    If the " People " all marched on Westminster and the Financial square mile shouting slogans and waving banners , calling for our leaders and our bankers to step down as we did not believe them to be genuinely and sincerely upholding their responsibilities , would we wake up in the morning to headlines of "Justice " and " Unity In the name of Free Speech " ............. Not likely.
    Freedom of Speech and Inciting Hatred means different things from opposing angles , and it's down to us as " Civilised Human Beings " to measure , evaluate and regulate what that is , because it's not being done for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Swanny View Post
    I wouldn't be committing a crime, if it turned physical I would be acting in self defense.

These people are using their religion as an excuse to murder
    I don't want to get into the intricacies of law but hitting someone who mocks you is definitely not self defence. You would be before a judge and you would be looking at jail time and quite rightly so.
    Your argument has fallen flat.
    They are using religion as an excuse to murder as you would be using hurt feelings/pride as an excuse to commit abh.
    Like I said earlier this is exactly the same view the radicals have and it is wrong.

Reza Aslan sums up the media's portrayal of Islam perfectly.
    1.5 Billion people are a lot to tar with the same brush.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h5tc48iaki0

Good find , I wish I could be as articulate , fluent and lucid on the spot.

Here's some news coverage which highlights the effects that Western political decisions and mainstream media coverage of Extremism has on ordinary people " JUST LIKE US "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvZBkIkVZiw
    Last edited by DC; 12-01-15 at 12:23 AM.

Banned
    I don't want to get into the intricacies of law but hitting someone who mocks you is definitely not self defence. You would be before a judge and you would be looking at jail time and quite rightly so.
    Your argument has fallen flat.
    They are using religion as an excuse to murder as you would be using hurt feelings/pride as an excuse to commit abh.
    Like I said earlier this is exactly the same view the radicals have and it is wrong.
    I wouldn't hit someone for mocking me and never said I would. I said I would defend myself if it turned physical. He is the aggressor not me.

Banned
    Good video, it shows that CNN is part of the BS propaganda system just as is the BBC. There is an agenda at work

More propaganda exposed