Notices

Thread: We need a revolution

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
  1. Re: We need a revolution 
    As long as you lot keep the arguments on this thread and don't get personal I see no problem with it.

The rest of us can read or not read it as we choose. I personally read it but keep my thoughts to myself.

I would also prefer not to listen to too much of it in a pub, but I can always find someone else to talk to I'm sure!

Nothing like a bit of healthy discussion [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

BB
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

2. Re: We need a revolution 
    I will start another thread with another discussion point

3. Re: We need a revolution 
    Platinum Member
    Healthy debate, is just that, healthy. I try not to be personal, and if some of my comments are found to be insulting to some, then i personally apologise. I don't mention politics hardly ever in real life, so i find it refreshing to have a debate online with people. Let's not censor this thread and let's not be personal, i'm sure a lot of you know each other offline, and i'm sure over time you may get to know me. For the record i don't wear dungarees, or live in a teepee, i eat lots of red meat, and don't smoke drugs

4. Re: We need a revolution 
    My original post:

As for the rash statements about record numbers of deaths due to the cold, that is just not true. It's a well know fact that people are living longer. More old people = more deaths of old people. Cold related illnesses covers a wide spectrum.

Thorkill's response:

So winter mortality rates simply aren't true, eh?
    So I guess this lot have got it all wrong, then......

As you can see at no point did I say that winter mortality rates aren't true I said they aren't at a record high as the graph clearly shows. That is the only point I wanted to make and thought it was clear enough. I think you just read what you wanted.

Jayjay I think you might have your graph upside down as it certainly doesn't show that last year was a record high for winter deaths. I'm deffinately not saying any increase is ok.

5. Re: We need a revolution 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_geoghegan
    My original post:

As for the rash statements about record numbers of deaths due to the cold, that is just not true. It's a well know fact that people are living longer. More old people = more deaths of old people. Cold related illnesses covers a wide spectrum.

Thorkill's response:

So winter mortality rates simply aren't true, eh?
    So I guess this lot have got it all wrong, then......

As you can see at no point did I say that winter mortality rates aren't true I said they aren't at a record high as the graph clearly shows. That is the only point I wanted to make and thought it was clear enough. I think you just read what you wanted.

Wiltshire builders, (sorry I don't know your first name)
    I apologise again for my mistake. However, in the context of my argument I peronally believe thousands of such deaths in one of the world's richest economies is a national scandal.

6. Re: We need a revolution 
    On that 'cold' subject did you guys notice that the main gas suppliers are about to hike prices by around 10% Now that could have some serious consequences on elderly people with low or static incomes if they heat/cook with gas. The gummint should force these suppliers to charge a minimum to any elderly persons who are struggling.
    I need amusement in my sad life and it looks, very much, like you fit this requirement admirably..............begin the amusement!!!!!

7. Re: We need a revolution 

[/quote]
    I apologise again for my mistake. However, in the context of my argument I peronally believe thousands of such deaths in one of the world's richest economies is a national scandal. [/quote]

You are absolutely right. Heating shouldn't be seen as a luxury. The energy companies seem to able to act with impunity. If they ever are brought to account it's by way of a fine which in turn is passed onto the public. It's very difficult to voice your displeasure these days without falling foul of any of the new laws brought in to silence the masses.
    Like Col said, it's only going to get worse.

8. Re: We need a revolution 
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_geoghegan
    My original post:

Jayjay I think you might have your graph upside down as it certainly doesn't show that last year was a record high for winter deaths. I'm deffinately not saying any increase is ok.
    Please read my post - I said the worst in 10 years not a record - 10 years ealier was clearly higher - on a right way up graph.

9. Re: We need a revolution 
    commando1966
    "Gordon Bennett" This thread is MISERABLE and GLOOMY .. Cheer up you lot for goodness sakes .. Most of you all have Great bikes on the road , money in your pockets !! Im struggling to get my Trike on the road on Minimum wage but im still happy and excited about when it is finally on the road !! NOW SNAP OUT OF IT .. LOL ;D 8-) 8-)

10. Re: We need a revolution 
    Sorry Nick - Although I applaude your outlook on life - after all we are here for a good time not a long time - we wont solve the problem of thousands of pensioners having to make the decision between 'heat' or 'eat' by burying our heads in the sand and pretending is isn't so.

I have only 4 years to go til my company throws me on the scrap heap and I start to pull my state pension - currently less than £98 per week. I started work at 15 and will have worked, and payed for my state pension, for 50 years. Less than £100 per week for that is wrong, a social injustice and a damned insult.

Aside from that - good luck with the bike - I hope we see you on the road with it soon [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

By the way, as Adante will no doubt confirm - Jewish John (JAYJAY) rareley has any spare cash - my bank manager can back that up too!