Notices

Thread: We need a revolution

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
  1. Re: We need a revolution 
    Quote Originally Posted by monday21
    how did you do that bold print?
    start a reply and then the text you want to be bold (either in your own text or in the quote) put these either side. There is also the option in the toolbar above the posting box (if that makes sense?)- its a capital B.

2. Re: We need a revolution 
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorkill_The_Tall
    NOT A POLITICAL STATEMENT IN ANY WAY

So winter mortality rates simply aren't true, eh?
    So I guess this lot have got it all wrong, then......

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=574
    No the stats are right, it's you that's wrong.
    Redken said we are seeing RECORD numbers of deaths due to the cold and as your graph shows the current death rates are NOT at record highs.
    If you're going to post statistics it's a good idea to make sure they back up your arguement rather than disprove it. Also don't pick an argument with the boyfriend of the woman who provides the government with these statistics for the NHS.

3. Re: We need a revolution 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pilninggas
    [quote author=monday21 link=1287875218/45#49 date=1288290503]how did you do that bold print?
    start a reply and then the text you want to be bold (either in your own text or in the quote) put these either side. There is also the option in the toolbar above the posting box (if that makes sense?)- its a capital B.[/quote]

Oh got you I have been using the quick reply box. Cheers

4. Re: We need a revolution 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_geoghegan
    [quote author=Thorkill_The_Tall link=1287875218/45#46 date=1288289604]NOT A POLITICAL STATEMENT IN ANY WAY

Redken said we are seeing RECORD numbers of deaths due to the cold and as your graph shows the current death rates are NOT at record highs.
    If you're going to post statistics it's a good idea to make sure they back up your arguement rather than disprove it. Also don't pick an argument with the boyfriend of the woman who provides the government with these statistics for the NHS.[/quote]

Wiltshire Builders, if I have made a mistake I apologise - was 99/2000 not a record high?

5. Re: We need a revolution 
    Political discussion is good - why avoid it - this is the NON bike heading after all!
    It shows far more intelligence to be able to share facts and views than to avoid it. Only by having open minds to discussion and evidence do we learn. iF our forbears had not followed this principle we would still be waiting to invent the wheel.
    The dumb thing is to be in a prejudiced, unimformed position refusing to listen to either fact or argument. Therein lies the truth of the maxim that those who do not learn by history are destined to re-live it

6. Re: We need a revolution 
    [quote author=Thorkill_The_Tall link=1287875218/45#46 date=1288289604]NOT A POLITICAL STATEMENT IN ANY WAY

If you're going to post statistics it's a good idea to make sure they back up your arguement rather than disprove it. Also don't pick an argument with the boyfriend of the woman who provides the government with these statistics for the NHS.[/quote]

So last winter was not the record year for additional winter deaths - I'm sure it was worse in Dickensian days! But the graph clearly shows it was the worst in the last 10 years - so your point is.....?
    All old people are warm enough?

7. Re: We need a revolution 
    Quote Originally Posted by JAYJAY
    Political discussion is good - why avoid it - this is the NON bike heading after all!
    It shows far more intelligence to be able to share facts and views than to avoid it. Only by having open minds to discussion and evidence do we learn. iF our forbears had not followed this principle we would still be waiting to invent the wheel.
    The dumb thing is to be in a prejudiced, unimformed position refusing to listen to either fact or argument. Therein lies the truth of the maxim that those who do not learn by history are destined to re-live it
    JayJay - A very good point, well made.

I'm going to opt out for the time being due to my own shortcomings in being able to convey my thoughts via the written word. However i will still enjoy reading the thoughts and opinions of others. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

8. Re: We need a revolution 
    ok - how about a bit of political trivia?

Only un-googled answer before midnight counted!

During the '70s we had a period of enforced 50 mph speed limit on motorways - all drivers issued with petrol ration coupons, factories offices shops and other businesses reduced to a 3 day working week - television ended at 10.00 p.m.

Who was the Prime Minister
    a. Harold Wilson
    b. James Calaghan
    c. Edward Heath
    d. Margaret Thatcher

No Prizes - ok maybe a pint or coffee tomorrow for the first correct!

9. Re: We need a revolution 
    Diamond Member
    Ted Heath

10. Re: We need a revolution 
    Active Member Thorkill_The_Tall's Avatar

If you're going to post statistics it's a good idea to make sure they back up your arguement rather than disprove it.[/quote]

Please read my original post more carefully.

The text accompanying the graph states:

The elderly population experiences the greatest increase in deaths each winter. In the winter of 2008/09 there were 29,400 more deaths among those aged 75 and over, compared with levels in the non-winter period. In contrast, there were 7,300 excess winter deaths among those under the age of 75.

Irrespective of what Redken may have said, my original comment concerned the fact that winter mortality rates for the elderly are in excess of the rate for the rest of the year. This seems to be true for all the sample years, not just for the year given in this instance.
    I don't see how I have disproved anything.

Also don't pick an argument with the boyfriend of the woman who provides the government with these statistics for the NHS.
    I hadn't realised I had.
    Please offer my apologies when you see him.