Notices

Thread: Best Roads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Re: Best Roads 
    Platinum Member
    Almost forgot the road home from work is pretty good too

2. Re: Best Roads 
    lol thats the only 1 i seem to travel regularly, from trowbridge into devizes through hilperton, seend and up the dual carriageway into Devizes.

3. Re: Best Roads 
    A couple of good ones are the A343 from Newbury to Andover, then head West and pick up the A338 up through Hungerford to Wantage (OK, precious little of them is in Wilts). I used to live near Leicester and tbh the roads up there and around Rutland & S Lincs are blinding compared with stuff in the South; great surfaces, much less traffic, NO speed cameras (yay! ;D) and soooo fast The most memorable road I've ridden I guess has to be this one (please indulge me, it's copied from a post I put on another forum nearly two years ago):

I spent a wee bit of time in New Zealand recently and was fortunate enough to borrow a bike (just a Yam FZ6, but all it cost me was petrol) and was taken down the most amazing road on North Island. We were in the Bay of Plenty area and the ride out took us along the coast from Whakatane to Opotiki, and then we headed inland towards Gisborne on Route 2; fairly flat and straight for the first 5 km or so, and then we hit the Gorge.... think of all the best roads you know; Cat & Fiddle, Cross Gates to Newtown, Ardèche valley, TT course over the Mountain... this road combines the best of all of them and more... amazing scenery (though no time to look at it) as we followed the river valley up into the hills, and literally more bends than you could shake a stick at, never a straight of more than a couple of hundred metres, mostly excellent surfaces (had to watch out for the occasional bits of rock fall, plus suicidal Possums) We stopped at Matawai (where the white road joins Route 2 just above the streaming counter on the image) and waited for the Ducatis to catch up (one's rear brake pad retaining pin had fallen out and his pads dropped and locked the wheel at the filling station in Opotiki... : ) We'd climbed from an elevation of around 30 feet to 2000 feet, and when we turned and headed back the way we'd come, the sign said "Opotiki 75km"... If asked, I may have guessed at 40km... We scooted back down in the gathering dusk (and suddenly appearing clouds of insects) and got back to Opotiki in the dark. One of the most amazing things about riding that road was that we did 150km on it and didn't see more than a dozen other vehicles, honestly... Time to start saving for another trip I think

[img][/img]
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

4. Re: Best Roads 
    Platinum Member
    I quite like the ride from old sodbury to chippenham, some nice fast corners and straights just have to slow down few a little bit to go through the villages. and of course you go past the sally!!!

5. Re: Best Roads 
    most of the roads in and around cheddar loads of bends and no squaring off of your tyres and wales is pretty good tend to avoid wiltshire because of the bacon!

6. Re: Best Roads 
    the mountain road on the tt course, great views fast bends and you can see whats coming. this has to be the best by far and best of all no speed limit on it.

7. Re: Best Roads 
    The Hungerford to Wantage road is BRILLIANT.

I normally do a loop from Swindon-Highworth-Faringdon- and I forget the rest but it takes you along the Hungerford-Wantage road, then back along the A4 to Avebury-Wooton Basset and home

8. Re: Best Roads 
    ONFIRE
    Opposite direction Swindon, Marlborough, Hungerford - Wantage, Farringdon, Burford, Bibury, Kemble, Brinkworth onto Swindon 8-)

Bibury I own you ;D ;D ;D

Did I say that before ... :

9. Re: Best Roads 
    I think at the moment any that aren't covered in snow ;D

10. Re: Best Roads 
    Platinum Member
    Any roads over 40 mph speed linit, few bends, no speed camera's of and bacon butty van at the end is the kinda roads i like ;D