Quote Originally Posted by BMWGraeme
[quote author=Blackandchrome link=1346598316/13#13 date=1346759463]My licence was issued in '78 and is the original paper type. I have considered replacing with the new type but have refrained due to the stories of "motorcycle" being ommited on the replacement document.
Its kinda nice hanging on to the 'olde' type too.
All the codes on it are a bit confusing as well!
I have the same, issue year as well. However, I will at some point have to get mine changed for a new address and have heard the same issues in the past concerning the motorcycle entitlement disappearing. I think I will get some sort of legalised copy of the original made before I send it off just in case. It will be a shame - its nice to have the old paper version.[/quote]

Mine was a paper licence from 1974 !!.. Recently sent it off to get LGV Class 2 provisional put on it. Before sending it off, I phoned DVLA, as I had also heard of bike entitlements disappearing when the photo licence issued.

DVLA told me that if your full bike entitlement is on their system under your driving licence number, then there is no fear of the entitlement being omitted from the new photo licence, as they issue new licences from the classes noted on their system for your licence number.

Mine came back and sure enough my full bike entitlement from 1991 was shown.

So phone DVLA first to check that you bike entitlement is on their system and then all should be fine. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]