I have learnt that despite trusting other road users to be sensible they never are.

The scariest one was leaving the M6 to join the M42 and a "muppet" in a Range Rover trying to drive into the side of my bike. Blasted the horn three times to no avail. Sped up and he kept coming quicker, he lost his wing mirror and then proceeded to emergency stop on the hard shoulder. Out of courtesty I stopped and had a conversation with the gentleman, he apologised saying that he hadn't seen me in my white leathers, hi vis vest and white helmet.

I offered my insurance details and reminded him of the number of cameras on that stretch of road. He declined saying that it would probably end up costing him a fortune. I was surprised how calm I was, I felt like clocking him one as I thought he was going to turn me into dog food.

I always expect the unexpected and have found that the finger up does nothing but annoy the hell out of the driver and they become more agressive. I have had a couple of close calls whilst filtering at slow speeds and know I wouldn't be here if I was going as fast as some of the guys that I have seen filtering in the same location.

Every ride is a learning experience and I know I will never be perfect. The day I think that is the day I hang up my helmet for good!