Went don't to GW today and tried out a load of bikes, everything from full blown superbikes to cruisers and actually found the sports bikes more comfortable in terms of riding position than anything else, although this could just be because I'm used to sitting like that while on a bike. I found the gears/break felt awkward on anything else. But ran into another problem of having size 12 feet! i couldn't physically get my foot under the gear lever to change up without having to completely take my foot off the peg and bring it in from the side. I assume i could just get a longer shift lever or something but based on not changing anything i've narrowed down the choice to 2 bikes.
The yzf-r6, which i actually found really comfortable and the handlebars were near enough exactly where my hands naturally sit when i lean forward and tbh i would give up all comfort for those looks and that sound! OR the triumph 675 which i found i sat much more upright on but found all the controls and levers sat in the right place without any problem at all and would probably save me a bit of neck ache on longer trips!
But I'm not set in stone about anything yet so keep up the suggestions i've got a few months yet before I'm going to make my decision!