I was reading a mazgazine & with the IAM event taking place tomorrow I thought I'd share the information.

You probably didn't hear this in mainstream media, but there was recent good news for biker riders in the UK.

Bike related deaths were down in 2008 compared to the previous year. The figures given is that 493 riders died in 2008 compared to 588 in 2007 a decrease of 16% according to Department of Transport figure (DT). Why was this you ask?

Was it due to the rubbish summer in 2008 fewer rider were out on Britains roads or is the DT going to take some credit.

They asked a DT spokes person who said "We were encouraged by the figures showing that the number of motorcyclist fatalities on Britains roads fell... However, motorcylists are still the single most vunerable group on Britains roads today (Tell us something new) accounting for 1% of all road traffic, but for 19% of all those killed on the roads. We know there is still more we need to do to reduce this terrible toll & that is why we will be continuing our work on the THINK driver campaign as well as the Sharp safety helmet rating system.

The poor summer of 208 played a part, bike sales fell overall between 11-15%, trackdays are proving more popular, as well as improving our skills on the road. Riders are taking up advanced riding lessons with IAM & Police backed Bikesafe.

Lets see if we can reduce the rate next year.

Ride safe people hope to see you Saturday at the IAM in Trowbridge [smiley=thumbsup.gif]