Notices

Thread: All Hail our Leader

1. All Hail our Leader 
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

Brilliant - well done indeed.
    I only have one vice…I lie.

Well done that man, steering a business is a tough gig and delivering sustainable growth is even tougher. When I see a successful business I think of how many satisfied and fulfilled people it employs.

Thanks all, I didn't spot this thread so wasn't being rude!

It explains my disappearance from normal life for the last few years at least! Just found out we're ranked 19th in the UK and 333rd worldwide of all IT companies (of which there are tens of thousands...) so we're doing ok. Though the fallacy of business owners being able to take lots of time off and doing what they want has yet to come true...
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

Quote Originally Posted by Dabz View Post
    Thanks all, I didn't spot this thread so wasn't being rude!

It explains my disappearance from normal life for the last few years at least! Just found out we're ranked 19th in the UK and 333rd worldwide of all IT companies (of which there are tens of thousands...) so we're doing ok. Though the fallacy of business owners being able to take lots of time off and doing what they want has yet to come true...
    |Congratulations huge achievement. For what it's worth, I've discovered that a business owner can take to lots of time off and do what they want (within tight controls of course!) once they sell their business ; )

Absolutely - I've had some silly offers lately from people wanting to buy but I've decided I've got another 5-10 years in me first..though when the sun's shining like it is today it's sorely tempting to sell up! Congrats on your past sale...so many people never get to that stage!
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

Absolutely - I've had some silly offers lately from people wanting to buy but I've decided I've got another 5-10 years in me first..though when the sun's shining like it is today it's sorely tempting to sell up! Congrats on your past sale...so many people never get to that stage!

Make sure you make time for family & friends Dabz, enjoy life and if you enjoy work, that's a bonus. You must be enjoying it to be so successful.
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

My previous boss, the guy who we bought out with the MBO, told me it would never be the right time when you come to sell, it would be too early or too late. When I was made a silly offer end of 2018 I initially turned it down, fortunately for me they approached me a again early 2019 and this time I engaged my accountants corporate finance team and they helped me recognise what a great offer it was and to leverage up the EBITDA multiple by a significant amount .... which was nice ; ) I thought I was too young (at 55) but the deal meant money wasn't an issue so it was just squaring letting go and, even though leading the business meant a huge amount to me (I had been there 34 years, 15 as owner), family meant more and I haven't looked back since stepping away. If you're getting offers that mean money isn't an issue for either then I would suggest you at least give it some serious thought, there's more to life than running a business, even a great one.

Quote Originally Posted by Trev View Post
    My previous boss, the guy who we bought out with the MBO, told me it would never be the right time when you come to sell, it would be too early or too late. When I was made a silly offer end of 2018 I initially turned it down, fortunately for me they approached me a again early 2019 and this time I engaged my accountants corporate finance team and they helped me recognise what a great offer it was and to leverage up the EBITDA multiple by a significant amount .... which was nice ; ) I thought I was too young (at 55) but the deal meant money wasn't an issue so it was just squaring letting go and, even though leading the business meant a huge amount to me (I had been there 34 years, 15 as owner), family meant more and I haven't looked back since stepping away. If you're getting offers that mean money isn't an issue for either then I would suggest you at least give it some serious thought, there's more to life than running a business, even a great one.
    Sensible words.
    Not to mention if you really enjoy working, start up again and enjoy the challenge from the word go but never let it rule your life!