Notices

Thread: Next bigger bike

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Next bigger bike 
    So the Bandit 400 is very nippy and great fun but I've been looking for the next bike, maybe something bigger as my knees ache after a long ride because the bandit is quite low, would be good to get something slightly more economical but not too slow...

suggestions please

prefer naked, would be good to easy fit a top box or saddle bags, used mostly for commuting with occasion pillion.
    so far I have been looking at the below but would consider similar models.

Triumph Bonny, Thunderbird, Tiger
    Honda CB/CBF 900

not sure about getting a 600 as want a bit of oomph and big enough for riding two up.

I passed my test years ago so can ride anything and am over 40 so not too bothered about insurance.

any advice with experience with the above or similar would be great

Have had a Bonny for almost six years,have done a 3000 mile and 2000 mile trip and know you can sit on her all day without a problem and she just keeps tractoring on !!!

Banned
    A 600 has plenty of oomph and is easily big enough for riding two up

Love my Bonnie, got plenty of oomph when need and really comfortable on long rides. Taking her to France this year!!
    It's all about the ride!

What about the 1200 or 1250 Bandit - super bike two-up and plenty of oomph.

I imagine it would have a bit more leg room than the 400?

I used to ride most of my time with a pillion and had both the Bandit 600 and 1200.

The 600 was OK two up but it could be hard work (and the pillion wasnt heavy) you have to plan ahead overtaking and braking much more on a smaller bike two up, and I found it quite tiring any distance doing that.

Whereas the 1200 was utterly effortless, stick it in any gear and it just pulled. It also gave the pillion a much smoother ride both accelerating and slowing down due to the smoothness and torque of the bigger engine. Distance on the 1200 was no problem.

You could also load the 1200 up with loads of luggage and a pillion and never really felt it whilst the 600 felt heavy.

Personally I wouldnt choose a 600 again for carrying a pillion and luggage.

I know a guy with a Suzuki SV650 that he loves, but I've never been overly keen on the front fairings. I know they're wildly popular bikes, and there must be a reason for that...?

Still, I know the feeling of wanting more power. I ride a 500cc, and I'm saving up for a shiny new bike. Almost fully saved up now (give me three or four more months!)... exciting!
    "Only a biker knows why a dog sticks its head out of a moving car window"

2012 BMW S1000RR
    1999 Kawasaki ER500

facebook.com/upshiftmedia

Thanks for the info, I do like the Bonnies and have sat on a couple in Fowlers, a bit worried about wrecking a nice shiney bike with the daily commute though. It's also good to be able to have a popular model to easily source parts, I can get almost anything for the Bandit cheap online or the local suppliers.

I have heard a couple of times that if you want a bigger Bandit then don't bother going from 400 to 600 as there isn't that much of a difference, the 1200 also looks a lot bigger, I raised the back of the 400 with replacement dog-bone links and this made it bearable on the knees but anything over an hour is uncomfortable. I suspect you can do the same to the 1200 if it's a similar setup.

Certainly more to think about....

Any views on large naked Honda's? I noticed on one model that the exhausts were just below the rear seat so may not be good for saddle bags!

Quote Originally Posted by Mal103 View Post
    anything over an hour is uncomfortable.
    If you managed that then a sports bike would be ok ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mal103 View Post
    Any views on large naked Honda's? I noticed on one model that the exhausts were just below the rear seat so may not be good for saddle bags!
    The CB1000 looks amazing and much better quality than the Suzuki.
    But if it was my money I'd go for a Speed Triple. Seemless drive, comfortable position, look fantastic and great handling.

I've got an 02 Hornet 600, it's definitely not slow, 90-something bhp - only downside is the bloody tank size - 130 miles to empty
    In loving memory of Mikkie Mahon 8th May 1986 - 28th September 2014. Taken too soon, ride free x
    “I WILL be a story in your head, but that’s ok. We are all stories in the end, just make yours a good one, eh?”

Quote Originally Posted by wiltshire builders View Post
    If it was my money I'd go for a Speed Triple. Seemless drive, comfortable position, look fantastic and great handling.
    Ah, I didn't consider the Speed Triple! That's a really good looking bike and I never read a bad thing about it in reviews. I love the underseat exhaust version as opposed to the newer ones.

I think it was Senna(Dan) that bought himself a Speed Triple, so he'd be good to speak to.
    "Only a biker knows why a dog sticks its head out of a moving car window"

2012 BMW S1000RR
    1999 Kawasaki ER500

facebook.com/upshiftmedia