Notices

Thread: Mama, I just (nearly) killed a man!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Mama, I just (nearly) killed a man! 
    Coming onto the A4 tonight in my van I pulled out of a side road and suddenly heard "beeeeeeep".
    I looked in the mirror and saw a GSXR pulling along side.
    I'd just pulled out infront of a bike.
    Unforgivable, right?
    I should apologise and beg for forgiveness at nearly causing an accident, right?
    As he went past he gave it the usual hand gestures and head shakes.
    Totally justified?

Nope.

He wasn't speeding. He was in the middle of the lane and not riding irratically.
    Unfortunately he didn't have any lights on and was dressed head to toe in black.

Biking in the wet, in the dark, in winter is dangerous enough.
    Drivers are doing their best to not kill you.
    Come on.
    At least meet us half way!

Mistakes happen but agree that we all need to make ourselves seen, I was tempted the other day to overtake in the dark as it was only a small bike coming the other way, turned out it was a car with no drivers side lights at all. First thing in the mornings some drivers think they don't need lights - even before the sun comes up.
    I have a black bike with black leathers but always have my light on, I also don't like the bright yellow/orange stuff so have the grey reflective strips on my rucksack straps that really show up. I also have put some black reflective tape all over the bike, obviously only when lights are shining on me though...

Platinum Member
    Wasn't me.
    Although I do ride with a black rainsuit on (it does have reflective stripes on it though - and they shine like a light)

Everyone makes mistakes (no lights on e.t.c.) however as I have mentioned before the amount of cars, vans & lorries with maladjusted and broken / non-working lights is now getting to epidemic proportions.

Rather than trying to trap speeders the authorities should be dealing with these easily rectified light problems.

Well said Rabb, could it be a case of there's not so much money to be raised from a headlight not working instead of speeding fines, diffcult to prove if the driver insists "the light was working when I left home".

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey haired bloke View Post
    Well said Rabb, could it be a case of there's not so much money to be raised from a headlight not working instead of speeding fines, diffcult to prove if the driver insists "the light was working when I left home".
    Thanks GHB - I do about 17k a year on my bike and I see the same cars doing their everyday commute with knackered lights or ones that are set to blind oncoming vehicles. As I have a GSXR I do have 2 headlights which are up-rated with super brilliance Carlos Fandango bulbs. If someone blinds me I tend to let them know in the only way that I can - hopefully they will realise that their lights need attention!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabb View Post

Rather than trying to trap speeders the authorities should be dealing with these easily rectified light problems.
    And fix the roads, the cross roads junction at the top of the hill from Staverton towards Bath is absolutely terrible. We haven't even had the really cold weather yet.

I followed a Police car the other night and there were 2 cars going the other way with broken lights, one of them had no lights on one side of the car! Then another car struggled to pull away when the lights changed - either very old or drunk in my opinion - the Police car did nothing... I even stopped when the traffic lights changed as the Police car went through, although if he had of stopped me just getting through on amber I would have ranted about the other drivers a LOT!
    I would love to be a copper for the day! I also flash the ones with dodgey lights and happily dazzle those with bright fog lights on when it's not foggy or mis-aligned lights.

As for cyclists and lights... most are just trying to commit suicide!

Banned
    Seems to me there are more un-marked police cars now than marked. Joyriders in BMW's

Quote Originally Posted by Rabb View Post
    Everyone makes mistakes (no lights on e.t.c.).
    Absolutely. But its how we act after we make a mistake that defines us.
    Rather than putting his hand up to apologise he chose to still play the victim and hurl abuse at me.
    This attitude will ultimately be his undoing as it shows arrogance and total disregard to other road users. This usually is the recipe for a very short biking career.

Quote Originally Posted by Swanny View Post
    Seems to me there are more un-marked police cars now than marked. Joyriders in BMW's
    That reminds me. Watch out for a silver Audi Q7 patroling the M5. Looks like the feds are mixing it up abit with their vehicles.