Notices

Thread: Breakdown recovery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Breakdown recovery 
    Diamond Member
    Thinking about joining one of the breakdown companies, AA, RAC etc., mostly because my car hit 180k miles today. Anyone care to recommend one that has done well with bikes?

2. Re: Breakdown recovery 
    Ive been picked up by the RAC twice on the bike and both times they have sent a local recovery company truck ... so its down to how good they are. In the car, the RAC have always come quite quickly and try to do as much repair work themselves rather than taking you to a garage, which can sometimes save some cash.

BTW - dont ever put diesel in your car/bike because they wont recover you home, even if you have home start. They will take you to the nearest garage within a 10/20 mile radius, which on a sunday isnt much use !

3. Re: Breakdown recovery 
    Platinum Member
    I'm with the RAC (£117p/y) which includes onward travel up to 3 days (i had a car from them for 4 and wasn't billed). I've been recoverd by them twice on the bike, there slow and they subcontract but they are the cheapest for the level of cover they provide.
    In the car, RAC have left me at night on the m60 for 1 and a half hours in the freezing cold. took them 7hours to get me home!

LOL russ, not a good idea!

4. Re: Breakdown recovery 
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWGraeme
    Thinking about joining one of the breakdown companies, AA, RAC etc., mostly because my car hit 180k miles today. Anyone care to recommend one that has done well with bikes?

I would recommend RAC too, mainly because i've had a few bad experiences with the AA but also because if you
    don't use them RAC give a discount which increases every year to a point (dunno which point though) last year my discount took it down to about £80 from the £117 - then had to use it the other day coz i dropped the guzzi.

Other thing to do is swop between them every year for their different deals

5. Re: Breakdown recovery 
    Diamond Member
    Thanks guys for the input. Nice idea HC, maybe chop and change every year like I do with insurance as well.

6. Re: Breakdown recovery 
    I have RAC, I assume it covers bikes as well as cars, as they say it's the member not the motor.

7. Re: Breakdown recovery 
    Platinum Member
    if you do use them for the bike, their mechanics can't really do much for you, best thing to do is tell them to send a flat bed stright out, otherwise they send a van to you (2hours) and then they can't do anything so send for a flat bed (another 2 hours)!

8. Re: Breakdown recovery 
    We're with Direct line / Green flag includes personnal cover for what ever car / bike we are in /on. theres also a No claims discount.

9. Re: Breakdown recovery 
    Icey
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod
    I have RAC, I assume it covers bikes as well as cars, as they say it's the member not the motor.

I was just thinking about this, we have breakdown for the car, but I've no idea wether it goes across to the bike. :-/

/me *edit*

We are with AA for the car - and they're superb, always helpful and usually very quick. Even when Chris has locked his keys in the car :

10. Re: Breakdown recovery 
    ONFIRE
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey
    [quote author=Rod link=1154294571/0#5 date=1154542039]I have RAC, I assume it covers bikes as well as cars, as they say it's the member not the motor.

I was just thinking about this, we have breakdown for the car, but I've no idea wether it goes across to the bike. :-/

/me *edit*

We are with AA for the car - and they're superb, always helpful and usually very quick. Even when Chris has locked his keys in the car :[/quote]

T&C's :