Notices

Thread: Wavey Brake Disks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Wavey Brake Disks 
    Hey all,
    The time has come for me to replace the front disks on my GPX and while looking around for good prices i have come across some Stealth Disks for 59.99 each (better than £124 for a stock disk)
    Question is i can have them Round or Wavey just wondering apart from looking really nice what are the pro's and con's of using Wavey disks.
    Thanks
    Matthew

2. Re: Wavey Brake Disks 
    PROS...
    Due to the vut outs on the outer surface making them wavey they look cool...
    On a serious note, the wavey bit does 2 things...
    1. As they rotate the "wavey" edge scraps the crap off the pad so you have good clean brakin material.
    2. Because of the wavey shape they disserpate heat better....there is a larger outter surface diametre than a standard disc.

3. Re: Wavey Brake Disks 
    IMPORTANT - DO NOT BUY STEALTH PERFORMANCE WAVEY DISKS!!!!

I TRIED to buy a set of three from them some time ago for £275 - they told me it would take 2 weeks to produce my disks. After, IIRC, 4 weeks I received a pair of fronts only, in the finish I didn't ask for, with the wrong colour buttons. I fitted them only to find that they juddered like buggery - they were for a DIFFERENT bike; the offset was wrong. They took them back and then 2 weeks later sent me only a rear disk, which I did not fit. Some 2-4 weeks later I was still waiting and cancelled my order. It then took them a further 3 weeks to refund my money. All the while I was struggling to get a straight answer - excuse after excuse after excuse. They really are a bunch of cowboys. It turns out that they do this all the time and have many many dissatisfied customers. If you aren't sure then do a search on visordown.com or post up a thread - plenty will tell you a carbon copy of what happened to me.

In the end I called Moore Speed Racing in Bournemouth who charged me £350 for some genuine Braking Waveys with Carbon Lorraine pads and it turned up 2 days later. They were a great piece of kit.

4. Re: Wavey Brake Disks 
    thanks Dave, a word of warning for the rest of us there! I must admit I'll probably go for wavey ones when mine need changing...but my reasons were cosmetic only!
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

5. Re: Wavey Brake Disks 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gav
    PROS...
    Due to the vut outs on the outer surface making them wavey they look cool...
    On a serious note, the wavey bit does 2 things...
    1. As they rotate the "wavey" edge scraps the crap off the pad so you have good clean brakin material.
    2. Because of the wavey shape they disserpate heat better....there is a larger outter surface diametre than a standard disc.
    Close Gav........

As many of you know,I have 'Braking' wavys on the K3.......
    They do look kool,main reason for me buying them! :
    They weigh 1lb lighter each than the standard disc
    Crescent Suzuki actually take the sharp edge off of the edge of the disc cus' it wears the pad out prematurely....
    They are supposed to stay cooler,as Gav says,due to the larger outer edge diameter

AND,these are the very same disc's that Ten Kate use in World Supersport! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

6. Re: Wavey Brake Disks 
    Thanks for the replys i think i will go for wavey disks as even though its an older bike it looks nice (well i think it does ;p) i'm gonna check with moore speed and see what i can get for the old girl

7. Re: Wavey Brake Disks 
    The biggest benefit of wavy discs, and the reason they are fitted to some race bikes, is the lighter weight.
    This reduces inertia and makes steering slightly easier.
    The fact that they 'sweep' the brake pads is of questionable value, and it was recently proven by MCN that they are actually less efficient in pure stopping power terms than standard shaped discs.

Of course, the reason Gixxerboy fits them is that they look cool ;D

Jen.

8. Re: Wavey Brake Disks 
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabz
    thanks Dave, a word of warning for the rest of us there! I must admit I'll probably go for wavey ones when mine need changing...but my reasons were cosmetic only!
    This is my thread about them when I ordered - runs for NINE pages.

http://www.visordown.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265128

9. Re: Wavey Brake Disks 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by desmojen
    The biggest benefit of wavy discs, and the reason they are fitted to some race bikes, is the lighter weight.
    This reduces inertia and makes steering slightly easier.
    The fact that they 'sweep' the brake pads is of questionable value, and it was recently proven by MCN that they are actually less efficient in pure stopping power terms than standard shaped discs.

Of course, the reason GixerBoy fits them is that they look cool ;D

Jen.
    Must be the reason I'm going with Brembo disc's on the K6 : tho I must say I had no probs with the stopping power of the Wavys myself......

I cannot deny it! : 8-)

10. Re: Wavey Brake Disks 
    But for the needs of most the brakes will only ever be as good as the rider...
    If you cant use them they will always be just for looks!

More important than outright stopping power will always be a brake with plenty of feedback and feel.