Check it for crash damage - it's unlikely anything particularly bad could have gone awry in 1600 miles without it going down the road! Check all parts that could touch down in the event of a crash (bar ends, levers etc) and also feel the lock stops at the base of the head tube to see if they're dinged at all. Theyre basically just blocks of metal that stop the bars on full lock - if the bike had hit the deck hard they would be marked/damaged in some way.

Is the wear real wear or just chicken strips? Maybe take some photos. Ask the lads in the shop to explain why they're worn unevenly - they'll have a reason, even if it's nothing to worry about they'll be able to tell if anything is awry. Feel free to give me a call if you need any advice while you're there - if i'm with the client i'll just reject you but feel free to try.

What's wrong with the GS that's stopping you coming on Sunday? I doubt ill be back from Egham in time to go to Downton with you but I may have time to do some work on your bike if it's nothing serious.

Dave