Notices

Thread: Front End Grip

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Front End Grip 
    Hi,

Ive had my SV650S for 7 months now, but i dont seem to have much front end grip. Before I bought the bike, i read loads of reviews that said the SV was one of the best handling bikes people had ridden, but when i go around roundabouts and such it feels like the front end is sliding from underneath me and i have to keep sitting the bike up.

Im not sure if its a confidence thing or not as this is my first big bike. The bike came with Dunlop tyres on it, but having read all the reviews on tyres here, you guys only seem to be discussing either Bridgestones or Pirelli's. One of my friends has a Bandit with Bridgetones on and seems to be able to outride me at every corner (he has been riding longer than me tho!!!).

I keep feeling like i have to go around tight corners with the bike almost vertical to stop it sliding.

Has anyone else here experienced anything similar or able to give me any advice??

Thank you and sorry for the long first post .

matt

2. Re: Front End Grip 
    could be the way the suspension is set up presume u have checked tyre pressures ane wear? does the bike hold its line on quicker corners or is it a problem at all speeds?

3. Re: Front End Grip 
    the suspension is set up as it came from the factory and the tyres have only done 1800 miles so wear isnt an issue.

on quicker corners it appears better than the slower ones but i would have thought it would be more than im currently getting

4. Re: Front End Grip 
    from what u are saying if the tyres are ok just need to spend some time on suspension set up sounds like the front is pushing out on slow corners

5. Re: Front End Grip 
    Diamond Member
    It could just be your confidence... I used to have loads of confidence in my front end until I dropped the bike twice at Silverstone last year and on both occassions I lost the front end. Now people said that it was the tyre as it was shot (plus the day was extremely hot), but to me I don't know if it is. I've started to doubt if it is my skill level, etc... Now when I ride I keep getting myself in to situations (for example, slow speed stuff around roundabouts, etc..) where I think the front is going to let go. Subsequently, I lock up which makes the situation worse.

It's all a mental thing as I'm following others on near enough exactly the same bike and we're not leant over at all really, but in my mind I'm convinced the front end will go. On the quicker stuff I'm fine which is the bizarre thing! Anyway, with more mileage under my belt this fear is slowly going and my confidence is getting back to where it was.

See if you can swap bikes with your mate for a short ride and see what he says about your bike.

6. Re: Front End Grip 
    Diamond Member
    Check the tyre manufacturers recommendations for pressure against the bike manufacturers. They can be different and I always go with the tyre makers.

7. Re: Front End Grip 
    Platinum Member
    Get you mate on the Bandit to test ride your SV an see what he thinks

8. Re: Front End Grip 
    thanks for the advice guys. next time i see flip i'll get him to take mine out for a spin for his opinion and i'll also check the tyre pressures against Dunlop's recommendations. Suzuki say they should be 33 at the front and 36 at the back.

9. Re: Front End Grip 
    Ive just been doing some additional reading on a dedicated SV650 forum and came across this... http://www.sv650.org/sv_faq.htm#24/0...0Some%20truths - the descriptions appear to be what im experiencing so i'll give it a go.

it might also be some useful information to someone else here but on a different bike.

matt

10. Re: Front End Grip 
    www.bridgestone.eu

Use the tyre guide on there, it will tell you the correct pressure for your bike too in bar (1 bar = 14.7psi)

I know the front should be 36 for sure though, but the rear pressure vary's from sooooki to sooooki (and riders weight lol)....can usually gauge the rear though from the ride....if the pressure it too much it will feel rock hard and shimmy over everything....if too soft will just run wide all the time