Hello everyone. I have 1983 Yamaha xj900 trike, bought off of eBay after it had been in a smash along with all the parts necessary for a repair. As I'm not a mechanic and it wasn't a simple take off the old andreplace with the new job I took it in to a professional bike builder for the kiss of life and it came back running as sweet as a nut although the idle speed was a little high.
I have since taken off the tank & seat to wire in new lights for the rear as well as generally tidy up the electrics which were a bit of a mess, replacing the old fuse box etc.
Since I put it all back together, although the lights look and work great I can't start the engine. I have had it with a mate of mine for 2 weeks who owns a garage and he has been through it but can't see any faults. He has de gunked the carbs, checked fuel lines, filters, battery, connections etc etc etc but my baby will not go.
He had found a small white multi plug which apparently give off an electonic pulse when you try to start the bike but it is not connected to anything. I noticed it when I was doing the lights but guessed the guy who put the trike together must have done a bit of inspired electrics so left it alone. The bike was going anyway so I didn't worry.
The bottom line is that my baby still won't go and summer is 'almost' here. Does anyone have any idea what the spare connection might be (its hanging down near the connection tothe gear box and neutral indicator connector) or any idea of what we can check next to get me back on the road?
Any help, tips or advice will be appreciated as I am new to bikes and need to learn everything.
Thanks
Larry (flyingosca)