Notices

Thread: DIY carb cleaning

1. DIY carb cleaning 
    Platinum Member
    Im looking at 'spring cleaning' my carbs on the CBR600F4. Is this a job for pros? I've heard talk of balancing the carbs but not sure what's to go wrong other than adjusting the jets. Do I need a 'Gas exhaust Analyser' to set up correctly? If so,then it's not a job I can undertake myself. I was planning to buy some carb cleaner and just have a good look what i can do. Any info would be apreciated!

2. Re: DIY carb cleaning 
    ONFIRE
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman
    Im looking at 'spring cleaning' my carbs on the CBR600F4. Is this a job for pros? I've heard talk of balancing the carbs but not sure what's to go wrong other than adjusting the jets. Do I need a 'Gas exhaust Analyser' to set up correctly? If so,then it's not a job I can undertake myself. I was planning to buy some carb cleaner and just have a good look what i can do. Any info would be apreciated!

Thought the CBR600F4 was F.I. :-?

8-)

3. Re: DIY carb cleaning 
    Platinum Member
    iceman as onfire has hinted your bike is probably fuel injected you, can buy injector cleaner wich you add to the fuel when filling up,if it does have carburettors it is something you can do yourself but ensure you buy a service kit before dismanltling carbs as you will need to replace gaskets,do not use any sharp objects/wire when cleaning jets an airline is best,if you have to replace pilot or main jets ensure they are the correct size/spec for your bike,setting of the fuel/air and timeing of the carbs will have dramatic effect on the engines performance if they are not set up correctly on a multi cylinder machine,so its probably best to have them proffesionally balanced/tuned.hope this helps steve

4. Re: DIY carb cleaning 
    Platinum Member
    The bike has a manual choke so is definately carbs! I think 'FI' came out in 2001.Mine is Sept 2000
    :-/

5. Re: DIY carb cleaning 
    ONFIRE
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman
    The bike has a manual choke so is definately carbs! I think 'FI' came out in 2001.Mine is Sept 2000
    :-/
    In that case , like 'Thunderbird' say's best to get it done professionally.
    8-)

6. Re: DIY carb cleaning 
    2000 model is carbed
    Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.

7. Re: DIY carb cleaning 
    Platinum Member
    ok lads.Cheers!

8. Re: DIY carb cleaning 
    Platinum Member
    Dave the old saying of if its not broke then don’t fix it springs to mind, did fireblade gets his carbs balanced?

9. Re: DIY carb cleaning 
    you need to balance 2 left carbs together inner and outer then the 2 right carbs together inner and outer then balance the the 2left carbs with the 2 right carbs easy peasy Oh yea you need a carb balancer to do it. a garage will charge you prob about £30 only takes about 5 mins to do,if i was you id have the carbs balanced first see how bike goes.