Notices

Thread: New Bike Test

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. New Bike Test 
    Diamond Member
    Spoke a mate yesterday who is only now taking his test. He rang me to say that he had failed module 1, this is the off road section which includes the swerve test, this was his first attempt & what he sadi was his back wheel clipped a bollard so he was failed on that.

While speaking to others at the test centre failing 1st time is not uncommon as others at the test centre where taking their 4th & 5th attempts.

Is this the case? talk is that they whoever they are are trying to have the swerve test stopped.

2. Re: New Bike Test 
    Platinum Member
    More info here
    http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-...ewed/7691.html

Get writing and voice your opinion

I’m sure they are trying to get bikes off the road

3. Re: New Bike Test 
    I heard quite a few people have come off performing the 'swerve' test and broken bones..surely it can't be such a good idea.

I am SOOOOOO pleased that I did mine before all these new rules came in - sounds like maybe someone is trying to make it harder for the biker to get on the road in the first place??
    :-/

4. Re: New Bike Test 
    There's no doubt the pass rate has dropped since they brought in the two module test. However, speaking personally, we've not had a problem. Our pass rate is pretty much the same as it was for last year. The good thing about the test is you have to be a good rider to pass. You have to be able to handle your machine. As it was, there were still riders who could pass the old style test who were not all that competent. There is no way you can fluke the new test.

The horror stories of riders falling off whilst performing the swerve test, would be enough to put anyone off. But to be honest, it's mainly (not always) down to bad teaching. We had a meeting with the examiners at Bristol test centre recently, basically to have a discussion and sort out where instructors were going wrong. In that meeting I got into a heated discussion with an instructor who insisted that it was not possible to perform the swerve exercise without braking whilst swerving! Not only did I demonstrate that it was possible, but I also demonstrated that they could stop a lot quicker if necessary. This was an instructor who did not understand or teach 'counter steering'. This is the only method available for taking evasive action (see 'counter steering' thread).

In short, if anyone is considering taking the new bike test, don't be put off. Just make sure you're taught correctly...
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

5. Re: New Bike Test 
    bit of a plug there mark lol

6. Re: New Bike Test 
    Quote Originally Posted by gedmib
    bit of a plug there mark lol
    You know I'm right though mate...
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

7. Re: New Bike Test 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Able
    [quote author=gedmib link=1250235337/0#4 date=1250281789]bit of a plug there mark lol
    You know I'm right though mate... [/quote]

Only have your word for that!! Plus no pass % given so could have been really low ......but stayed the same for this year

The swerve test is a piece of pi55 so can agree with you there - good instruction along with confidence as only the person on the bike will fail it the bike will do as its told [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

8. Re: New Bike Test 
    I tried the module 1 test recently and failed on the swerve exercise for not reaching the required speed. Should I conclude that I had poor instruction, or that I lack confidence?

I had plenty of practice with Abbey Rider Training (though admittedly they didn't have the kit to check speed accurately) and I'm reasonably confident in most normal situations, but this test is hardly a normal situation. You have to go at least 19mph round a 210-degree bend of radius 19m, then immediately accelerate hard coming out of the bend while straightening up and aiming for a 1.5m gap 20m away. You have to keep accelerating hard for another 10m to be doing at least 32mph through the next 1.5m gap, where the speed detector is located. You then have 10m in which to swerve through a 2.7m gap 3m off to the side and 30m to get back on course and come to a stop with your front wheel inside a 1x1.5m box.

Maybe you can train someone specifically to pass this artificial exercise happily before they have acquired any feel for defensive riding, but even with my limited experience, I would certainly not choose to accelerate hard towards such a narrow gap and then keep going flat out through it towards another one when there was a potential source of hazard ahead. It felt pretty unsafe doing what was required in the dry; I imagine that if my re-test happens on a wet day, I'll will have even less confidence.

I'm all for improving riding (and driving) skills, but there must surely be a better way than this.

9. Re: New Bike Test 
    As I said, it's often, but not always, down to bad teaching methods. I accept that nerves will always play a part. The pupils of ours who do cock up, could normally be attributed to nerves. The swerve test is the only exercise that anyone complains about, yet we've had only two fail for it since it came in at the end of april. One clipped a cone (cos he rode with his feet pointing out!), and one for not achieving the speed (on a 500). Everyone on a 125 has passed without issue. We use Yamaha YBR125's and Suzuki RV125 Van Van's (which have to be about to blow up in second gear to achieve the speed). Both bikes are fairly nimble, but are not sports bikes by any stretch of the imagination. But if you use the right techniques, any bike can be hustled through the manoeuvres.

Incidentally, the swerve cone is set 0.3m off to one side, not 3m...
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

10. Re: New Bike Test 
    The swerve exercise that everyone dislikes is very relevant. If you can't handle swerving between some cones at 32mph, how do you expect to avoid a car that had emerged from a side road, when you could be travelling a lot quicker? Demonstrating on a test area is far safer than practicing for real... :
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk