My CBR400 (NC23) is giving me a bit of grief.... again!

The problem goes like this:
that on starting it with choke (he's an old boy!), letting him run for a bit to get warm, I then climb aboard, switch the lights on, adjust choke - if necessary, put him into gear and then...... he cuts out! Now, anyone who doesn't know the foibles of "Ollie" thinks, oh stupid woman rider she's stalled the bike! Well, no actually, I haven't even had chance to let the clutch out yet! It's most annoying as I then have to go through a number of procedures in order to get him started again, switching the lights off and putting him back into neutral, all time consuming and annoying to any traffic if it happens at the traffic lights.... :-[

He's been on a treatment, since last winter, of Silkolene FST every third or fourth tank and especially when the temps started dropping as we had a major problem last October of carb icing. I replaced the battery about 2 months ago (so that's not the problem). The headlight bulbs have been replaced for genuine Honda ones as the previous owner had non standard ones in that were drawing too much power from the battery - let alone the fact that they were too big for the holder and he'd cut the lugs!

The only other thing that someone has suggested to me that might be upsetting him is the restrictor kit (washers in the carbs) which has to be in until next August. As I can't/won't risk having the kit taken out to ride around to test for a bit, can anyone else make any suggestions what the problem could be?

Any help would be appreciated as I love my little Ollie very much but this bad behaviour needs to be sorted out or else I may need to take drastic action >

kj