Notices

Thread: Bore Kits and Racing Pipes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Re: Bore Kits and Racing Pipes 
    Apparently you can get a 2.1 Ltr big bore kit for my MT-01. ;D
    Now that would be mad

2. Re: Bore Kits and Racing Pipes 
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett

So, I was told to get these by JD, so answer these for the newbie....

What is a Bore Kit?

What is a Racing Pipe?

What is the legality involved? :S

8-) thanks
    Don't bother.... the best bore kit you can buy is a bigger bike....

Bore kits are legal but you will need to tell your insurers that the bike is modified and it will still have to pass the emissions test for the original engine.

Racing pipes are not road legal if they are too loud or marked "not for road use" or "for race use only". Again you will have to tell your insurer that the bike is fitted with a racing system. A lot of insurers will not insure a bike fitted with a non-road legal exhaust.

My advise is keep the 50cc in as good a condition as possible, maximise the re-sale value. Flog the 50cc get a 125cc, do the same maximise the re-sale, get a full lisence, flog the 125 and buy a big bike. Lots more speed!!!

"there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

3. Re: Bore Kits and Racing Pipes 
    Diamond Member

like i said, if you want to PM me for tuning data please do.

life is for LIVING...... :-)

4. Re: Bore Kits and Racing Pipes 
    Active Member Thorkill_The_Tall's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnydangerous

like i said, if you want to PM me for tuning data please do.

life is for LIVING...... :-)
    Yeah - and it certainly ain't living when you're having to catch a bus because you've been a complete knob and blown your engine because of some dodgy big bore kit and badly made can.
    Do as you wish, kiddo, it's your money.

Why are humans the only animals who fail to learn from the previous generation?

5. Re: Bore Kits and Racing Pipes 
    Platinum Member
    I've run big bore kits on numerous bikes with no ill effects apart from extra aching muscles in my face from extra smiling

If it is done right and within the tolerance of the bike and corners not cut to save money - now't to worry about! Manufacturers do it all the time!

But as mentioned before you should mention it to your insurance etc wouldn't want you to be illegal on a bike

6. Re: Bore Kits and Racing Pipes 
    Active Member Thorkill_The_Tall's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    I've run big bore kits on numerous bikes with no ill effects apart from extra aching muscles in my face from extra smiling

If it is done right and within the tolerance of the bike and corners not cut to save money - now't to worry about! Manufacturers do it all the time!

But as mentioned before you should mention it to your insurance etc wouldn't want you to be illegal on a bike
    I agree, Stu, but the key words are 'done properly'.
    How many of the bolt on kits for small bore two-strokes take into account any increased oiling for the crank, etc, etc?
    These kits are, more often than not these days, cheap, nasty and made from recycled Pandas in Chinese sweatshops.