Notices

Thread: Bandit 600N Cutting out when weather is cold

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Bandit 600N Cutting out when weather is cold 
    Right. Here we go.

My wife rides the above every day. It's a 98 and has been a great bike for the last 8 months until last week. First frost we had and she takes it out to go to work and get's about 1/2 a mile from home when it loses power and cuts out. Won't start for a while then when it will start it will do the same again. I have cleaned all the fuel lines and emptied the tank of any crap and this seemed to do the trick until today. Same thing again????? The bike is warmed up when this happens so not sure where to go with this next?

All suggestions welcome

Cheers

PB

2. Re: Bandit 600N Cutting out when weather is cold 
    You will prob find its Carb icing ,quite a few bikes do it usually happens after a few miles,my yammy thundercat 600 use to do it a lot.open the throttle and nowt happens then it splutters as if running on 2 cylinders.
    Try a can of fuel additive think its about £3.50 cant remember the name but you will get some from eg George Whites,think Silkolene make one.
    Im sure someone will be post later with the correct name for what you want

3. Re: Bandit 600N Cutting out when weather is cold 
    That sounds about right. When it happened tonight I was behind her in the car and the bike sounded fine but next thing it's gone? I'll head up to GW's tomorrow and see what they have.

Cheers [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

4. Re: Bandit 600N Cutting out when weather is cold 
    My Srad did this really badly,love carbs but don't miss this about them.

Your have 2 options

1)FST additive / Yamaha do a version too / loads of other makes

2) Iso-propanol Used to be sold in hardware stores as 'rubbing alcohol' (used in aviation as an anti-icing additive in planes) way cheaper than FST. Can get it from lab suppliers direct. Seem to remember for 2 litres it was £12(delivered to your door) and needed 200cc per tank.

5. Re: Bandit 600N Cutting out when weather is cold 
    Diamond Member
    Def sounds like Carb Icing, had the same thing when I was looking at buying a VFR800 with carbs, and this put me off until I then found out what it was.

6. Re: Bandit 600N Cutting out when weather is cold 
    Platinum Member
    I get carb icing on the Bandit 600 (a 98 model as well) so just do not ride the bike in temperatures under 3 degrees. Good luck with finding a fix

7. Re: Bandit 600N Cutting out when weather is cold 
    According to a message I found on another forum the bike should be fitted with carb heaters as standard from 98 onwards??? There are some wires coming from the bottom of the carbs but not sure if thats it. If it is the connection on No 3 carn has snapped.

Time to consult the trused Haynes manual.

At any rate the bike will not start now so I think there is another issue somewhere????

>

8. Re: Bandit 600N Cutting out when weather is cold 
    My Thundercat had carb heaters on it but they were connected from the radiator and that didnt make any difference.
    Yours might be the same.

FJ is the choke on a Bandit manual or automatic?
    just wondering if the wire is for the auto choke, so a broken wire makes choke stay on for that carb,so when cold engine it runs ok till the bike warms up then splutters/cuts out because choke isnt working auto on that carb
    .Just a thought!

9. Re: Bandit 600N Cutting out when weather is cold 
    Platinum Member
    Hello paleblue I have removed the carb heaters and they work fine. This is a known fault on the 600’s. Other people I know with this model of bandit get the same problems. I guess a bandit forum maybe the best place for help. I wish you luck on getting your bike started soon and finding an answer to the carb icing.

Hello Alan hope you are keeping well, it’s a manual choke and functioning fine.

10. Re: Bandit 600N Cutting out when weather is cold 
    Your Bandit will run fine with the additives I mentioned.

The Bandit has 4 carb heaters that screw into the bottom of the carbs, they help but don't cure the problem. They are mini heaters (like glowplugs but way cooler running) run on electric unlike the heaters fitter to Thundercats and some Kawasakis which use coolant from the engine.

Finbar [smiley=thumbsup.gif]