Notices

Thread: Licence question

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Licence question 
    I've asked this before, but forgotten the answer.... so please be patient.

A friend, sick at paying the ever increasing cost of fuel, is looking to get a scooter. She passed her car test in 1988 and has never ridden in this country.

Questions:
    Can she ride a scooter on her car licence?
    Does she need a provisional bike licence?
    How long does the licence last for?
    Does she need to take a CBT? - I've advised her to take this any way.
    What size machine can she ride?
    Does she need L Plates.

Thanks for the help.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

2. Re: Licence question 
    Platinum Member
    Can she ride a scooter on her car licence? Yes
    Does she need a provisional bike licence?No as will show full moped licence
    How long does the licence last for?until the expiry date on reverse
    Does she need to take a CBT? - I've advised her to take this any way. Not on a 50cc
    What size machine can she ride?50cc or less
    Does she need L Plates. No

hope this helps

3. Re: Licence question 
    Platinum Member
    Does she need to take a CBT? - I've advised her to take this any way. Not on a 50cc
    What size machine can she ride? anything over 50 upto 125 with cbtDoes she need L Plates. only on machines over 50cc
    hope this helps

One thing to bear in mind though is To ride over 50 cc she would I'm sure need to apply for motorcycle entitlement to be added to her Licence Cat A

4. Re: Licence question 
    Quote Originally Posted by silly_simon
    What size machine can she ride? anything over 50 upto 125 with cbtDoes she need L Plates. only on machines over 50cc
    hope this helps

One thing to bear in mind though is To ride over 50 cc she would I'm sure need to apply for motorcycle entitlement to be added to her Licence Cat A
    You're sort of right there Simon. She won't need motorcycle entitlement added, as it'll already be on there. But she will need CBT and L-plates for anything bigger than 50cc.
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

5. Re: Licence question 
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Able
    [quote author=silly_simon link=1294660494/2#2 date=1294681643]Can she ride a scooter on her car licence? Yes
    hope this helps

You're sort of right there Simon. She won't need motorcycle entitlement added, as it'll already be on there. But she will need CBT and L-plates for anything bigger than 50cc. [/quote]

Thanks for the help guys, but a few more questions.

There is no moped entitlement shown on her lisence. I guess she can get it added???

She wants to ride a 125 as she has a 20 mile each way commute on main roads, so she'll need:

A provisional lisence
    A CBT
    L plates

How long does the CBT last before you have to re take it?
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

6. Re: Licence question 
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_W
    [quote author=Mark_Able link=1294660494/3#3 date=1294691288][quote author=silly_simon link=1294660494/2#2 date=1294681643]Can she ride a scooter on her car licence? Yes
    hope this helps

You're sort of right there Simon. She won't need motorcycle entitlement added, as it'll already be on there. But she will need CBT and L-plates for anything bigger than 50cc. [/quote]

There is no moped entitlement shown on her lisence. I guess she can get it added???

She wants to ride a 125 as she has a 20 mile each way commute on main roads, so she'll need:

A provisional lisence
    A CBT
    L plates

How long does the CBT last before you have to re take it?[/quote]
    2 years from the date of taking it

7. Re: Licence question 
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_W

The moped entitlement is one of the letters at the bottom of the list of entitlements - I think it's 'P'

This is assuming she has the two-part licence with plastic card as that's what I'm familiar with.
    100 Japanese horses now unmuzzled! Derestricted hooliganism has commenced...

8. Re: Licence question 
    Both the last answers are correct...
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

9. Re: Licence question 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robf
    [quote author=Jon_W link=1294660494/4#4 date=1294733182][quote author=Mark_Able link=1294660494/3#3 date=1294691288][quote author=silly_simon link=1294660494/2#2 date=1294681643]Can she ride a scooter on her car licence? Yes
    hope this helps

A provisional lisence
    A CBT
    L plates

How long does the CBT last before you have to re take it?[/quote]
    2 years from the date of taking it[/quote]

Jon
    If I'm correct in thinking
    A) She has a UK full car driving Licence, Therefore she has Category P (moped= 50cc) so she should have the provisional entitlement aswell for 125's
    B) To ride a 125 Yes she will need L-plates and a CBT which does indeed run for 2 years from date of issue

10. Re: Licence question 
    Cheers again guys. Sorry for the long list of questions.... but am trying to get this right first time.

To re-cap

The "p" entitlement on the lisence is the moped and entitles you to ride up to 50cc without L plates. It is also a provisional lisence for up to 125cc.

To ride a 125cc, you need to take a CBT which lasts for two years, and you can ride on L plates during this time.

One more question. Once the CBT has expired, is there a time limit before you can re-take?? Seem to think that you have to wait a year before re-taking??