Notices

Thread: My kickstart has parted company from my bike!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. My kickstart has parted company from my bike! 
    Help!

Kickstart lever sheared off this evening when I went to start the bike. No way of refitting it so I need a new one. Can anyone advise:

1. Are there any other bikes with a kickstart lever that will fit an '86 Honda CG125?

2. Does anyone know of a Honda CG125 being broken, or a place which can get a lever at short notice?

Luckily (?) I work at the top of a big hill, so I was able to roll the bike down and bump start it to get home, and I live at the top of another hill that I can use to bump start the bike tomorrow, but I don't want to be having to plan journeys based on the proximity of decent hills to my start and end points for too long ;D
    100 Japanese horses now unmuzzled! Derestricted hooliganism has commenced...

2. Re: My kickstart has parted company from my bike! 
    Loops have you tried to put a flat head screwdriver in the opening at the bottom of the kick-start to open it up a bit and slide it back in the the splines on kick-start shaft and refit the 10mm bolt
    [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    If it has a red line use it ....

3. Re: My kickstart has parted company from my bike! 
    This thread needs photos! (some forums have a smilie for this)

Has the shaft coming out of the engine sheared, the kickstart lever itself broken, or the lever come off the spline on the shaft?
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

4. Re: My kickstart has parted company from my bike! 
    Platinum Member

5. Re: My kickstart has parted company from my bike! 
    Most likely the kickstart has snapped at the base, as they're only cheap cast. Try GMStevens on Canal Road, Trowbridge. You don't need a hill to bump start a CG. Rolling it off the centre stand in gear normally does the trick... ;D
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

6. Re: My kickstart has parted company from my bike! 
    If the lever has broken at the base, it can be welded as it is almost certainly drop forged .
    If it's the lever, I can repair it for you , if it's the splined shaft coming out the crankcase, you'll have to strip the side of the engine and get a new gear shaft.
    There's no feelin' like 2 wheelin'

7. Re: My kickstart has parted company from my bike! 
    Right, looking at the kickstart, I think it should be as AbleT suggested - this is the closest I could find on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Honda-cg125-cb...item2560b3ad47

Mine appears to have sheared right at the base of the lever where it joins the block at the bottom (the pivot to pull the lever out having sheered, with the pivot used to crank the engine still being attached - do you follow?)
    It was dark when I went so I'm not sure exactly what is still attached to the bike! ;D

Plenty on ebay but I need one rather quick as I use the bike for work, hence wondering if there are any other bikes that have the same, or a decent shop that will have on in stock - I'll try GM Stevens tomorrow!

p.s. Iceman, thanks for the link, but it's not the right one - mine is younger.
    100 Japanese horses now unmuzzled! Derestricted hooliganism has commenced...

8. Re: My kickstart has parted company from my bike! 
    yeah u can bump a lil 125 with very little effort, i once snapped the actually splinedshaft on a dt125r lol

9. Re: My kickstart has parted company from my bike! 
    If you buy a new one.... keep the old one...I'll weld it for you.... perfect for a spare!!
    There's no feelin' like 2 wheelin'

10. Re: My kickstart has parted company from my bike! 
    I'd get Torph to weld up your old one. Will be stronger than new and cheaper.

As everyone has said you can bump a 125 fairly easily. You dont need to run very fast (walking pace will do) drop in in second and off you go.

Prehaps bump starting is one for a future Able Training Event???
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"