Notices

Thread: Need help with my cornering and braking

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Need help with my cornering and braking 
    Hello I am fairly new to biking and would love to go on a ride with a experienced rider to help me learn when to break and where to be on a bend . I think its me not the bike so would love the help

2. Re: Need help with my cornering and braking 
    Just get used to the bike to start with. Have a few rides on your own and go at your own pace. You'll find a lot of it comes with confidence and time.

If you want some professional help, have a Chat with Able Training. WB has orgonised rideouts every month and smaller groups ride all the time. Personally the weekends are difficult for me, but I'm happy to ride with anyone if I have the time.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

3. Re: Need help with my cornering and braking 
    Ye I find my new bike alot better just find myself thinking to much about what I am doin when cornering .

4. Re: Need help with my cornering and braking 
    if you want to go for a ride sometime to see how i take corners, pm me and i'll give you my number, i've only been riding for under 2 years but i don't really find myself thinking about the corners i just do it, by getting into the position where i can see as muc as i can around the bend and keeping at a slightly slower speed.

When taking a right handed bend if you position yourself slightly closer to the left hand side of the road it increases visibility and reduces the angle of the bend and therefore makes it easier to take the bend, also look where you want to go as it will take you where you want to go.

And when taking a left hand bend go position yourself slightly to the right of your normal line for the same affects as above.

Rob

5. Re: Need help with my cornering and braking 
    Diamond Member
    Baxter, we have the same bike so I'm happy to go riding with you. I have about 10 years riding and I have also recently done the Able training day so am happy to impart what little knowledge I have. You may find easier to go with someone on a similar machine as your body position etc will be different depending on the bike you're riding. However your lines should be fairly similar (unless you're on a cruiser!)

We could ride the road from Blunsdon to cricklade and back a few times - lots of varying corners and angles, including some nearly hairpins... great road to practice your cornering on.

Best advice tho, is always relax your grip and look where you want to go. If you do those, you'll automatically get round almost any bend with ease. Talk yourself through it out loud in your helmet. Feels stupid to start but you get used to it...

6. Re: Need help with my cornering and braking 
    ... or dig deep and do some time with the California Superbike School.... I'd been riding over thirty years and was impressed enough with what I saw a couple of years ago when Star did level 1 that I did levels 1 & 2 myself last year and thoroughly enjoyed it, and learnt some stuff too.
    Don't worry that it's all about turning people into racers, just have a look here and read what the website says - I've never heard anyone say a bad thing about them, and it's money seriously well spent...
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

7. Re: Need help with my cornering and braking 
    Ye will have a look I think if I come on more ride outs and do a few track days I will be fine

8. Re: Need help with my cornering and braking 
    One of the best bits of advice I could give and this applies equally to bikes and cars is too allow yourself plenty of time to fit in the braking, matching your speed to the corner and being in the right gear for the speed you are travelling at, well before you start to turn into the bend so that the bike is nice and stable.

The second bit of advice is learn about vanishing points. i.e where the nearside and offside of the bend intersect. As you approach the vanishing point will either be moving towards you (need to reduce speed), stay the same distance away, (speed is matched for the bend), or going away from you, (can increase the speed).

Lastly whilst learning reduce your speed and learn the techniques. You will find your speed increases naturally as confidence and skill grows.

9. Re: Need help with my cornering and braking 
    Always enter the corner slower than you need to, then gradually increase speed all the way through, 'In slow, out fast', not 'In fast, in the hedge'...
    Look through the bend, not just in front of your front wheel. The further ahead you look, the easier the bend seems. Also, point your head into the corner, not just your eyes.
    Pick a point at which you start the leaning process. Lean too early and it'll cock up your exit. Leaning later is better. Use 'counter steering'. If you're not sure what that is, you really need some tuition. It's the only way to understand counter steering thoroughly. Counter steering is the most important tool for cornering.
    Take your time. Don't rush to be the next 'Rossi'. Keep it within your limits. Don't try keeping up with more experienced riders, you'll get yourself into trouble.
    Good luck...
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

10. Re: Need help with my cornering and braking 
    Platinum Member
    Here's some interesting bumf http://www.lazymotorbike.eu/tips/corners/
    Vanishing point is good info, i had problems doing right handers which i've got a handle on now, although most people i speak to hate left handers, because of the run off.