Notices

Thread: Kawasaki ZX6r G2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Kawasaki ZX6r G2 
    OK appreicate that I haven't come on hear much however I have a problem with my bike (model in the subject line).

I came back from Germany with the bike running ok but on the round trip around 1200 miles I used about 1/2 ltr of oil. Since coming back which was september I have not turned a wheel, so went out to the garage and the bike wont start. So far I charged the battery, swapped out the plugs as they needed doing, and found the fourth HT lead (offside when sat on the bike) to be damp and a little oil on the spark plug. The bike will still not fire, I can smell the fuel going through the system - so what am I missing?

I have limited mechanic skills and would rather try to sort it myself than take it to a dealer as I don't gain any experience. So if anyone can offer advice or offer a hand and are local to West Swindon help would be appreciated - I can offer tea coffee beer and food.

Cheers

Stuart

2. Re: Kawasaki ZX6r G2 
    Platinum Member
    Cam position sensor? Get a multimeter on it. Are you getting a spark on all 4 cyclinders? Have you put the ht leads on in correct order?

3. Re: Kawasaki ZX6r G2 
    Platinum Member
    Stuart
    May seem obvious but have you checked the KILL switch mate ?

If you can smell fuel then I would say it is most likely an electrical problem but unfortunately thats not something i'm very good at

cheers
    Simon

4. Re: Kawasaki ZX6r G2 
    Thanks for the reply guys.

Mitch - I don't have a multimeter, and like Simon am not too good with electrics, can't tell if I am getting a spark on the cylinders as you have to take the tank off the bike completly - so can't get fuel to bike. The HT leads were removed one at a time (to ensure this didn't happen.

Simon - Good call on the kill switch, can't imagine I would be so silly to foget that :-[ ! Will check it when I finish work tomorrow morning.

5. Re: Kawasaki ZX6r G2 
    Sean.C
    Does the engine turn over when the starter is pressed and still not run or does it not turn over at all?

6. Re: Kawasaki ZX6r G2 
    The bike turns over, just doesn't fire. As said I'll check the kill switch first (hopefully won't be that).

7. Re: Kawasaki ZX6r G2 
    Does the fuel pump prime when you turn on the ignition?

8. Re: Kawasaki ZX6r G2 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kwak_zx6r
    Thanks for the reply guys.

Mitch - I don't have a multimeter, and like Simon am not too good with electrics, can't tell if I am getting a spark on the cylinders as you have to take the tank off the bike completly - so can't get fuel to bike. The HT leads were removed one at a time (to ensure this didn't happen.

Simon - Good call on the kill switch, can't imagine I would be so silly to foget that :-[ ! Will check it when I finish work tomorrow morning.
    Rig up an old washing up liquid bottle or sumsuch with a bit of hose, one plug at time, you need to check spark. Cam position sensors know to fail on these, you really need a multimeter to check resistance. Also you can check resistance across the coild packs.

9. Re: Kawasaki ZX6r G2 
    Hi Kwak Got a multimeter & timing light and a fair amount of electrical & mechanical knowledge pm me if you need help

10. Re: Kawasaki ZX6r G2 
    Right all,

Thanks for the replies so far, I have checked and its not the kill switch (few)

Mitch - I'll try that, at least I can test the plugs as you say.

Gunterpot i've pm'ed you.