Notices

Thread: Gear engagement problem

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Gear engagement problem 
    Platinum Member
    I have a problem with changing into neutral or 1st gear from a standing start.
    If I'm moving it doesn't happen but, if I come to a stop I sometimes cannot engage neutral or 1st gear unless I release the clutch about an inch and half from a full clutch depress.

It is an intermittent fault that is happening too often and at inappropriate times (on Mod 2 test)

I sometimes have to turn the engine off to engage neutral or 1st gear

Any ideas???

I have carried out the following maintenance in the last month:

Oil & filter change
    New air filter
    New iridium plugs
    Carb balance
    Clutch freeplay adjustment
    Battery change

Any ideas on what this problem is caused by - and the remedy pls.

2. Re: Gear engagement problem 
    Platinum Member
    Did it only start happening after you adjusted the clutch? Had a similar problem when I over did the clutch adjustment! Try "unadjusting" it a bit just a thought

3. Re: Gear engagement problem 
    Platinum Member
    Have you got the right free play on the clutch lever? Sounds like its dragging? Try rocking the bike backwards and forwards, usually frees it up! Failing that try "clicking" into neutral the other way IE down from 2nd or up from 1st?

What grade oil did you use, was it a motorcycle one?

4. Re: Gear engagement problem 
    Check the state of your chain.

I don't know what bike you have, but some bikes are prone to this, espcially older ones. Do you sit in neutral with the clutch drawn in?? You have to let the clutch out to spin the box then engage gear.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

5. Re: Gear engagement problem 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoYou
    Did it only start happening after you adjusted the clutch? Had a similar problem when I over did the clutch adjustment! Try "unadjusting" it a bit just a thought
    I have had the problem before however, it would only affect me going into neutral - (Not 1st gear)
    I will try backing the adjustment off a bit - as you suggest.
    Suggested freeplay is between 5 & 15mm (it's about 10mm now)

6. Re: Gear engagement problem 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_W
    Check the state of your chain.

I don't know what bike you have, but some bikes are prone to this, espcially older ones. Do you sit in neutral with the clutch drawn in?? You have to let the clutch out to spin the box then engage gear.
    If the gearbox is in neutral I don't depress the clutch.
    Chain & sprockets are in good condition - 500 miles old 'ish

7. Re: Gear engagement problem 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 470four
    Have you got the right free play on the clutch lever? Sounds like its dragging? Try rocking the bike backwards and forwards, usually frees it up! Failing that try "clicking" into neutral the other way IE down from 2nd or up from 1st?

What grade oil did you use, was it a motorcycle one?
    Freeplay is 10mm bang in the middle of the 5-15mm spec. (Haynes manual)
    I will try rocking it & 2nd down e.t.c.

Power 1 Racing - 4 stroke motorcycle oil.

8. Re: Gear engagement problem 
    Our GS's can suffer similar problems. Not getting neutral is because the clutch is dragging, and no amount of adjustment will cure it. If you do a lot of clutch slipping, as is required for the slow manouevres, the clutch over heats and partially warps the metals. It's the metal plates that cause the dragging. Only solution is new metals, and don't do more than about 10 minutes of slow stuff at any one time. :
    Not going into gear is a completely different problem. Our GS's sometimes get stuck in neutral, normally resulting in the pupil kicking the crap out of the gear lever to try and get a gear. It never works. If you get the gear while still rolling, it will normally go in. If you're trying to get the gear while stationary, the only solution is to let the clutch all the way out, bring it back in, then it should go in gear. It also happens if you stop in gear, select neutral, then try to back into gear without letting the clutch out in between (normally because you're trying to double-check whether you're in first). So in other words, I don't think there is a problem with your gearbox, just your clutch. :-?
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

9. Re: Gear engagement problem 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Able
    Our GS's can suffer similar problems. Not getting neutral is because the clutch is dragging, and no amount of adjustment will cure it. If you do a lot of clutch slipping, as is required for the slow manouevres, the clutch over heats and partially warps the metals. It's the metal plates that cause the dragging. Only solution is new metals, and don't do more than about 10 minutes of slow stuff at any one time. :
    Not going into gear is a completely different problem. Our GS's sometimes get stuck in neutral, normally resulting in the pupil kicking the crap out of the gear lever to try and get a gear. It never works. If you get the gear while still rolling, it will normally go in. If you're trying to get the gear while stationary, the only solution is to let the clutch all the way out, bring it back in, then it should go in gear. It also happens if you stop in gear, select neutral, then try to back into gear without letting the clutch out in between (normally because you're trying to double-check whether you're in first). So in other words, I don't think there is a problem with your gearbox, just your clutch. :-?
    Thanks Mark - what you have said makes a lot of sense.
    I thought that you might know. I will look at the clutch plates as it's costing me a fortune in mod 2 tests. I will check for warping and replace if required.

10. Re: Gear engagement problem 
    What bike you got mate? Air-coolies are more prone to it.
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk