Notices

Thread: Am I the only one?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
  1. Am I the only one? 
    Diamond Member
    who is sick of seeing people arguing about tuition fees. It's a privelage, not a right to go to university, and you should have to pay for it! If you're not going to earn the kind of money where you can pay it back easily, then don't bother going. Doctors, teachers, etc fair enough. But to get some lame degree then end up... working in Mcdonalds is ridiculous. Get an apprenticeship or real job training and stop whinging.

We should be encouraging people away from University, unless they actually NEED to go ...for the job they want to do. In tme, if we do that, then the fees will come down. I know so many people with menial degrees doing dead end jobs because there's millions of people with a 'psychology degree', or 'sports science' etc. You can even get a degree in David Beckham for crying out loud. When this stops, the fees will reduce in line. Less need to pay so many lecturers to breed ignorant young people who want to drink their loans away. Stereotypes? Yes - but we ge stereotypes for a reason...

And here endeth the rant for this morning! A huge debate is currently raging on my FB page! lol

2. Re: Am I the only one? 
    as a student i would like to point out that im not joining in on the protests!i think is the wrong people doing it and they are going about it the wrong way!what is the point of current students protesting when it isnt going to affect them!
    i understand that people dont want to pay £9000 a year to go to uni for 3 years but like you said if it gets you a better job at the end of it then you can pay the loan back easily!
    im hoping my degree is going to help me get a better job but i will say one thing...i will NEVER work in mcdonalds or any other fast food place!that i can promise you!

3. Re: Am I the only one? 
    Hopefulyl higher fees will change things back to where only the best students go to university, so that employers know that graduates really are the cream of the crop - at the mo far too many people go into uni because it's an easy option (and get accepted with crap grades because the uni needs the money) where they would be far better off getting a job and getting real experience. As an employer, employing uni graduates is a nightmare because they think they're worth more because they've had to pay for uni, when in actual fact they're not very worldly and take forever to settle into proper grown up working life!
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

4. Re: Am I the only one? 
    Squashed Fly, you've hit the nail on the head with regards to apprenticeships.
    Maybe that could be incorporated into getting a degree. The industry in which you want a degree should pay for courses via a slush fund and select students on merit. It would benifit the companies involved and weed out the slackers who are just along for the ride.
    It would also reduce the number of Mickey Mouse degrees out there. Doubt David Beckham would want to dip into his pocket to fund the course assosiated with him ;D

5. Re: Am I the only one? 
    I did my degree later on in life (well, not that late really - age 24 but they classed me as a 'mature' student! ;D). It was in Sport and Health with Psychology and never led to a job as such, just a large amount of debt which is taken directly from my salary on a monthly basis which I just don't look at as it is rather depressing.

I have got a great job now that I love, which pays OK, but the degree has nothing to do with that. The Charity I work for has put me through various training courses so that I have been able to rise through the ranks and gain promotions over the years. I would advise anyone thinking of going to Uni, that unless it leads to a 'proper' job such as teacher, lawyer, doctor etc.. etc. which you can't do without the degree, to not bother - go for apprenticeships or work for organisations such as Charities which usually offer great training opportunities and varied work opportunities even if the salaries start off fairly low. Those who work hard can prove themselves and find promotions without the hideous level of debt that degrees create. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

6. Re: Am I the only one? 
    Platinum Member
    I think we need to invest in people to get the skills we need.
    I do believe that students should contribute themselves but I think the proposed debt burden being placed on them is too great.

I don't think you should only go to university if you can get a top flight, top paying job.
    There are some valuable low paid jobs that need a university education and also people bringing up children can pass on the benefits of a university education.
    I am not saying everyone should go for free, but I believe the propsals have gone too far.

I would agree that there should be increased and better use of vocation training e.g. apprentiships.

But it would be a great shame if only the rich or those with a guaranteed top flight job could go. It's hugely enriching to your life even if you "just" contribute by bringing up children.

7. Re: Am I the only one? 
    £9000 a year is a lot of money. For a 3 year course thats £27,000 (my Maths degree did come in handy then?)

I was fortunate when I was that it was free in those days. I am on a reasonable income but I struggle to pay off a few hundred a month on credit cards etc, hate to think I had a £27,000 loan. Plus also any students now wanting to buy a house will have a massive mortgage. A basic flat costs £120,000. If a student leaves uni now and get a job on £30,000 which is good for a graduate starting salary they could only get a mortgage for about £90K max leaving a shortfall of £30,00 that would have to be saved. Saved from where?, they already have a £27,000 debt to pay off.

8. Re: Am I the only one? 
    Platinum Member
    You're right dude.
    Young people are really bearing the brunt of these hard time.
    Unemployment for young people is high and as you say it's tough for them if they go to uni so all their options are tough.

When I went to uni (many moons ago) there were no fees.
    I remember that I felt hugely hard done by because my maintenance grant was means tested and I did not get a full grant.
    I came out of uni with savings as I worked in all my holidays.

I think things are much harder for young people right now.

9. Re: Am I the only one? 
    Diamond Member
    Putting aside the increase in fees for a moment, we must not forget why so many students are angered by the forthcoming increase in fees. Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg and his cohorts targeted university constituencies during their pre-election campaign, promising students that the Lib -dems would oppose a rise in tuition fees. I accept some of the previous comments relating to worthless degrees and the need for more vocational training. That said however, I am 100 per cent behind the peaceful protesters ( not the violent hijackers) because I believe that the opportunity of a worthwhile degree should be available to all and not only bright school leavers from rich backgrounds. The coalition government have made a futile attempt in defending this hike by raising the earnings threshold when a graduate will start paying back the fees. How many bright school leavers from deprived backgrounds will be deterred from going to university by the thought of starting their working life with £30,000 of debt?

10. Re: Am I the only one? 
    Diamond Member
    But its not proper debt. Thats the thing. You pay it back in tiny increments once you earn enough to do so. And i dont know why everyone keeps saying its for the rich only - student loans are available to everyone. The days of only the rich being able to go are long gone