Notices

Thread: Prisoners to get the vote

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. Prisoners to get the vote 
    As there have been some recent interesting discussions on here of a topical/political nature I thought I'd post this up as a topic for discussion as I'm interested in people views. This week it was decreed by the European court of human rights that it was a breach of human rights for the government to deny prisoners of all levels of offending the right to vote. What are you views on this. This can cover all aspects, ie Europe telling us how to legislate, the human rights act, and not just the prisoner vote.

2. Re: Prisoners to get the vote 
    Diamond Member
    Controversial, but interesting subject Chris - I believe that all prisoners who are on demand should have the right to vote in accordance with the principle that a defendant is innocent until proved guilty.

3. Re: Prisoners to get the vote 
    Diamond Member
    Sorry that should have been remand.

4. Re: Prisoners to get the vote 
    Yes I think they should be allowed to vote - they should be allowed a say in the future world that they will be released into.

5. Re: Prisoners to get the vote 
    Platinum Member
    Personally Chris I think they shouldn't be allowed

In my opinion by the nature of how they became prisoners was there choice and therefore they shouldnt have the any rights as far as this goes.

Thats my own personal view and as such should not be taken as an attack on anyone [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

6. Re: Prisoners to get the vote 
    Hmmm - interesting topic - invitation to lots of views where actually there is no wrong or right.

Should they have the right to vote? I think if someone burgles my house, steals my property, rapes my daughter or mugs my grandma , they rescinded their rights when they took the decision to perpetrate that crime - But are all prisoners in that easy decision pigeon hole - I don't know.

Is it right for Europe to dictate what our voting rights should be - probably not - but it's good if it gets us talking and thinking!

Not all prisoners are in such a clear cut position - some are even innocent! for that tiny minority losing their political voice as well as all their other rights is an additional wrong.

Ok - I'm on the fence on this one!

7. Re: Prisoners to get the vote 
    (Hizzy here) I feel that if you commit a crime that gets you incarcerated that you have done something that has affected other peoples human rights and civil liberties and therefore you have absolutely no right to vote on what goes on in the outside world, you have forgone many human right by messing up. Lets face it they're enough of a drain on the system being locked up 24/7 and many of them ending up back inside again why the hell should they be allowed to vote while inside?

This has come around by some oxygen theif knowing he can work the system as shown in the press by his flaunting of the system smoking drugs in his cell...

The criminals who go down for rape, murder etc all the more serious crimes want to be glad that we no longer subscribe to capital or corporal punishment, they'd have something to complain about with their human rights then ... @r$eholes

8. Re: Prisoners to get the vote 
    Once again the 'unelected by us' in Brussels are telling the gummint what to do and if it isn't sorted will start handing out huge fines which ,of course, will be paid by us taxpayers.

Phone call.....'Is that Strasburg ?'.....'Ja'....'Viz a vie your order regards crim votes'...'Ja, ist our wish'..........'Errrrrrrr NEIN.....good day '

The answer for those convicted should be 'no'

but what percentage of these criminals actually voted when they could anyway?

I would guess not too high so in the great scheme of things does it really matter that 'Shotgun Willy' or 'Mac the knife' votes Green or whatever?
    I need amusement in my sad life and it looks, very much, like you fit this requirement admirably..............begin the amusement!!!!!

9. Re: Prisoners to get the vote 
    Just a thought - If this were to happen would this be by postal ballot for their non HM Pleasure address?

Surely that would be the correct way - but what then of the no fixed abode variety - would we the poor tax-paying victims of crime be fined for their loss of a vote?

The only other way would be to have the prison as their election home, presumably on the local election register. What would the local people and candidates think of the slanted increase in their electoral role? Would there have to be a polling staion within the prison?

Clearly an unworkable idea from overpaid underworked european beaurocrats with little more to do than legislate over the shape of cucumbers!

So I guess I'm off the fence

10. Re: Prisoners to get the vote 
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeTriple
    (Hizzy here) I feel that if you commit a crime that gets you incarcerated that you have done something that has affected other peoples human rights and civil liberties and therefore you have absolutely no right to vote on what goes on in the outside world, you have forgone many human right by messing up. Lets face it they're enough of a drain on the system being locked up 24/7 and many of them ending up back inside again why the hell should they be allowed to vote while inside?

This has come around by some oxygen theif knowing he can work the system as shown in the press by his flaunting of the system smoking drugs in his cell...

The criminals who go down for rape, murder etc all the more serious crimes want to be glad that we no longer subscribe to capital or corporal punishment, they'd have something to complain about with their human rights then ... @r$eholes

100%
    "the empty can rattles the most!"

https://www.facebook.com/neil.hudd