Notices

Thread: Japan quake

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Japan quake 
    Terrible event but no doubt these disciplined and diligent people will overcome this tragedy.
    The 'as it happened' coverage really showed the devastation and why so many are expected to have been killed.
    In addition there are problems with 2? nuclear reactors which must be brought under control soon for obvious reasons.
    All very sad and sympathies
    I need amusement in my sad life and it looks, very much, like you fit this requirement admirably..............begin the amusement!!!!!

2. Re: Japan quake 
    Platinum Member
    Shocking

3. Re: Japan quake 
    I have friends out there at the moment, only just got an email from them saying they were ok, only problem they are really having is constant power cuts

4. Re: Japan quake 
    Makes you realise just how 'lucky' we are!!........ ...... life is too bloody precious and short to waste....be grateful for what we have and the fact we are alive....whilst saying some pretty heavy prayers (or whatever you do) for so much human loss and for those that have survived 'cos its not going to be easy for them for a while :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

5. Re: Japan quake 
    I was watching the Live pictures on BBC breakfast as it happened - watching the wave move across the countryside was just something else...too big for your brain to put into context until you saw some poor motorist trying to outrun it
    100 Japanese horses now unmuzzled! Derestricted hooliganism has commenced...

6. Re: Japan quake 
    Sad indeed, and shocking. Makes you wonder why they thought it was ok to build nuclear power plants in an earthquake zone though... :-?
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

7. Re: Japan quake 
    Shocking so se towns liquified by the torrent.

The Nuclear power stations survived the quake, it was the tsunami that has caused the havoc... Basically after the quake the reactors shut down as expected, the Diesel backup pumps came on, and ran and all was well. The Wave hit, swamped the diesel pumps and stopped them. Normally a problem, but not catastrophic as tghe station has the rest of the grid and 8 hrs of battery backup in reserve. However, all the power lines are down, and the roads are non-existant so spare pumps cannot reach the station....

Bad combination.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

8. Re: Japan quake 
    Quote Originally Posted by lunalupi
    I was watching the Live pictures on BBC breakfast as it happened - watching the wave move across the countryside was just something else...too big for your brain to put into context until you saw some poor motorist trying to outrun it
    They BBC stopped showing the earliest helicopter coverage where you see the two trains crossing and then being covered in a second. Absolutely horrific.

9. Re: Japan quake 
    from the AP: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...03-14-11-26-01

Japanese officials say the nuclear fuel rods appear to be melting inside all three of the most troubled nuclear reactors.

Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said Monday: "Although we cannot directly check it, it's highly likely happening."

Not sounding brilliant...

10. Re: Japan quake 
    Diamond Member
    I find it diffficult to get my head round the images broadcast on TV. Hard to believe it's real - like watching a Hollywood disaster movie. Very sad.