Notices

Thread: What a Start to the New Year

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. What a Start to the New Year 
    My Zafira 2.0 DTi had been misbehaving in the cold but I finally got it to start on 1st Jan. Took it for a run to warm it through and get some charge back in the battery and sods law after 25 miles started to kangaroo at low speed. Finally just stopped dead and would not restart.

Recovered to local garage and diagnosis is fuel injection pump failure, big bucks to replace, couple of grand possibly :'(, so now I have to decide if I scrap my 53 plate car and look for something else or fork out for the repair.

Hope this isn't indicative of how the rest of the year is going to be.

2. Re: What a Start to the New Year 
    hopefully not, maybe your just getting rid of all the crap at the start

3. Re: What a Start to the New Year 
    Nightmare. Maybe it's as Rob says, get this squared and you're home free for the rest of the year.
    Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.

4. Re: What a Start to the New Year 
    im no expert,..but i had a pump go on a van a few years ago,..shop around,,im sure they do refurbed pumps at a fraction of the cost

also theres a scrap yard web site,..where you enter what you want,..and you get emails from all over the country,..then take the best offer

good luck

5. Re: What a Start to the New Year 
    Well if you decide that you want to get rid of it let me know a price and i will come and have a look. Could do with a bigger car for the Mrs and know a few mechanics that will do the job for me.

Cheers Don

6. Re: What a Start to the New Year 
    I'll bear you in mind if that ends up my solution.

7. Re: What a Start to the New Year 
    Platinum Member
    Bob - I know quite a few Vauxhall techs who do work on the side - if you decide to keep it let me know and I can give you thier number to see wht they can do it for

8. Re: What a Start to the New Year 
    Know the feeling, The crank sensor on my car went just before christmas due to the cold. IS a real bugger.

There is a Vauxhall specalist in Great Somerford. He may be able to help you for a lot less than a main dealer.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

9. Re: What a Start to the New Year 
    Diamond Member
    one reason it may be so costly is that the Pump may be linked to the main ECU, the pump may need the same code to pass fuel and wont start if you replace the pump from another car, it could also need the ECU from the donor car, also the keys may also be needed to talk to the ECU....
    it may be a complex involved job if you have a coded pump....altho someone may know of a way round this, and be able to reprogramme the pump, or put your module on the new pump may be possible....

pumps can be overhauled, but some of the cost will also be to put a new cambelt and tensioners on at the same time...

shi**y start to the year bob :-(

10. Re: What a Start to the New Year 
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Bob - I know quite a few Vauxhall techs who do work on the side - if you decide to keep it let me know and I can give you thier number to see wht they can do it for
    Thanks Stu I'll bear that in mind, just waiting for my local garage to come back to me.