Notices

Thread: Squeaky front brakes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Squeaky front brakes 
    I thought it might be daring putting a non bike related message on here, please dont cancel my account lol. My Saab 93 for some reason has developed squeaky brakes on the front. I have had them taken apart and looked at, copper grease applied, the tin plates re shaped as so they dont touch the discs. I have had the calipers off, grinded them to remove any surface rust, reapplied copper grease and refitted yet still the squeal driving around town. The pads and discs were only a few months old when I bought the car but just dont understand where the squeal is coming from. Any mechanics on here or people with similar experiances, please help, any longer and Ill be checking into a mental institution haha. Thanks, Tom

2. Re: Squeaky front brakes 
    Diamond Member
    Are you certain it's not a wheel bearing Tom?

3. Re: Squeaky front brakes 
    are the pads glazed over?

4. Re: Squeaky front brakes 
    are they genuine parts fitted,if not that will cause a squeal..if they are non genuine pads you could try shamfering the edge of the pads to see if that helps..
    ride to work,work to live,live to ride

5. Re: Squeaky front brakes 
    Hi redken1, Im sure its not the bearings as there is no humming noises and when brake pedal is applied, the squeal stops. Im sure the parts are genuine, the last owner and only owner had full Saab service history and parts and I did have the pads skimmed

6. Re: Squeaky front brakes 
    Diamond Member
    Do the brake squeek when you apply the brake or is the squeek there all the time ? Reason being my Alf had a warpped disc on the offside rear, had to replace Disc & pads both sides

7. Re: Squeaky front brakes 
    Some cars have a 'squeel bar' on the pads to indicate pads need replacing and the squeel stops when braking.
    onwards and upwards and sometimes a little sidewards....

8. Re: Squeaky front brakes 
    When i had to get new front discs for the bike i gave them a good clean with Brake cleaner then wiped them.Some manufacturers of bike/cars put a thin coating of preservative on the replacement discs to protect them.

9. Re: Squeaky front brakes 
    Maybe the caliper pistons are sticking applying light pressure on the pad/disc, worth a look

10. Re: Squeaky front brakes 
    Hey everyone, Well last night me and the old man jacked the car up and ran it with the front wheels off to try hear where the squeal was coming from. On the discs, a ridge had built up so they were sanded flat and this seemed to stop the squeal on the test run, but later that eve, I went out and the squeal returned. The brakes dont squeal when pressure is applied from the pedal and the pads and discs are probably only 4 months old and genuine so im running out of ideas as to what it could be Thanks for replies!!!