Notices

Thread: Job help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Job help 
    As some of you are aware, during the next 12 months I am planning to leave the Army for a career change as I am sick of people attempting to blow me up.

Basically I've had 9 years experience in the Royal Signals and I'm now looking for something in the telecommunications industry, predominantly R&D or Engineering

I'm hoping some of you have some contacts in 'civvy' world, particularly in the telecomms sector, which in exchange of chocolate hobnobs, I could send my CV to or pass on their details to me to follow up.

Mucho grassy ass for any help given.

I am now officially crapping myself
    Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.

2. Re: Job help 
    onfire23
    Quote Originally Posted by ninja_richie
    As some of you are aware, during the next 12 months I am planning to leave the Army for a career change as I am sick of people attempting to blow me up.

Basically I've had 9 years experience in the Royal Signals and I'm now looking for something in the telecommunications industry, predominantly R&D or Engineering

I'm hoping some of you have some contacts in 'civvy' world, particularly in the telecomms sector, which in exchange of chocolate hobnobs, I could send my CV to or pass on their details to me to follow up.

Mucho grassy ass for any help given.

I am now officially crapping myself
    Hi ...Have you considered the I.T. Industry plenty of SC jobs out there... Also you'll find you may get employed as a civy contractor by the MOD practicly doing same or similar job you're doing now, without the risk! 8-)

http://www.jobserve.com/ (hope adding this link is okay?)

Have helped out a lot of ex services guys / girls in my 10 yr career as IT Contractor.
    Downside you can;t always be too picky job \location. Upside Money is generally very good.

Hope I am not going on too much...Lol! My sister is in the RAF in GIB supporting RAF I.T. Systems she will have no problem in civvy street. Don't panic...

Good Luck...
    Tim 8-)

3. Re: Job help 
    cheers Tim, appreciate the advice

I'm willing to go into the IT sector. I wouldn't say i'm an IT expert by any means but I do use computers on a day to day basis, mainly on bespoke software (Bowman System).

If the job is good, I'm happy to do most things

4. Re: Job help 
    onfire23
    Quote Originally Posted by ninja_richie
    cheers Tim, appreciate the advice

I'm willing to go into the IT sector. I wouldn't say i'm an IT expert by any means but I do use computers on a day to day basis, mainly on bespoke software (Bowman System).

If the job is good, I'm happy to do most things
    Small world, I had dealings with Bowman when I was at DSDC Ashchurch, they were looking for people a little while ago.

5. Re: Job help 
    Platinum Member
    Jobserve is a bit poo these days I used www.jobsite.co.uk - the ratio of calls between the two were about 90% through Jobsite and 10% through Jobserve. Another mate in IT found exactly the same thing.

Be careful of recruiters though - they are sh!t and just after making their commission and frequently put you forward for jobs which they say matches your skills but turns out it couldn't be further from the truth! Demand a job spec before you allow your CV sent off.

As I said mate - I work in telecomms, so drop me your CV and if anything pops up I can forward it on with your OK..............

6. Re: Job help 
    onfire23
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyJawa
    Jobserve is a bit poo these days I used www.jobsite.co.uk - the ratio of calls between the two were about 90% through Jobsite and 10% through Jobserve. Another mate in IT found exactly the same thing.

Be careful of recruiters though - they are sh!t and just after making their commission and frequently put you forward for jobs which they say matches your skills but turns out it couldn't be further from the truth! Demand a job spec before you allow your CV sent off.

As I said mate - I work in telecomms, so drop me your CV and if anything pops up I can forward it on with your OK..............
    I agree with agencies, watch them there's a lot of Balls*****s out there. Got caught once! (Hays IT)Make sure you have your signed contract in your hand at the agreed rate before you start! Or you will find you have been dangled a carrot... You'll need a Ltd comp less tax bit more hassle or and unbrella comp less hassle more tax.

7. Re: Job help 
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyJawa
    thanks mate, i've just emailed you a copy.

No laughing!!

8. Re: Job help 
    there don't seem to be that many IT jobs in this area...or if there are then why can't I find them!
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

9. Re: Job help 
    onfire23
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabz
    there don't seem to be that many IT jobs in this area...or if there are then why can't I find them!
    Whats your skill set? 8-)

10. Re: Job help 
    technical background (after uni), but doing project management and service/operations management at the mo...want to move into operations or service management but I'm stuck in a small company working for the SME sector
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers