Notices

Thread: Risks of riding horses and motorbikes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Risks of riding horses and motorbikes 
    This story follows up on Prof David Nutt's recent political stink-bomb that riding a horse is more risky than taking ecstasy. Apparently it's also more risky than riding a motorbike:

In his paper Hazards of Horse-riding as a Popular Sport, Dr Silver cited a study from 1985 that suggested motorcyclists suffered a serious accident once every 7,000 hours but a horse rider could expect a serious incident once in every 350 hours.

2. Re: Risks of riding horses and motorbikes 
    All horses should be fitted with airbags, ABS, crumple zones and have their performance limited to below a canter.

Horse riders should have to pass a CBT on a shetland pony, then take their main test on a pony then being restricted on the output of the horse for three years before they can ride any horse they like. Unless the rider is over 21 when they can direct access.

All riders without a full lisence must display a L plate...

There should be a horse riding test

The new horse test will be completed in two modules. The specified manoeuvres conducted at specific speeds will be tested in module 1 on safe off-road sites.

These specified manoeuvres are:

at least two manoeuvres carried out at slow speed (below a trot), including a slalom
    at least two manoeuvres carried out at higher speed, of which one exercise should be at a rising trot, at a speed of at least 5 km/h (approx. 3 mph) and one exercise avoiding an obstacle at a minimum speed of 20 km/h (approx. 16 mph)
    at least two braking manoeuvres, including an emergency brake at a minimum speed of 20 km/h (approx. 16 mph)
    On the day of your module 1 test, you will be asked by the examiner to demonstrate your riding ability on either the left-hand or right-hand circuit. The standard off-road layout may change because of local conditions on the casual sites and where cattle are situated.

If you demonstrate riding skills of a dangerously incompetent level during module 1, you will not be allowed to take module 2.

If you pass module 1 you will receive a test pass certificate which you must bring with you when you take module 2.

Module 2 of the test is made up of the eyesight test, road safety questions and at least 30 minutes of road riding. Road riding will cover a variety of road and traffic conditions and will also include normal stops, hill and angle starts as well as taking water and a s**t.

Whadda ya think????

"there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

3. Re: Risks of riding horses and motorbikes 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_W
    All horses should be fitted with airbags, ABS, crumple zones and have their performance limited to below a canter.

Horse riders should have to pass a CBT on a shetland pony, then take their main test on a pony then being restricted on the output of the horse for three years before they can ride any horse they like. Unless the rider is over 21 when they can direct access.

All riders without a full lisence must display a L plate...

There should be a horse riding test

The new horse test will be completed in two modules. The specified manoeuvres conducted at specific speeds will be tested in module 1 on safe off-road sites.

These specified manoeuvres are:

at least two manoeuvres carried out at slow speed (below a trot), including a slalom
    at least two manoeuvres carried out at higher speed, of which one exercise should be at a rising trot, at a speed of at least 5 km/h (approx. 3 mph) and one exercise avoiding an obstacle at a minimum speed of 20 km/h (approx. 16 mph)
    at least two braking manoeuvres, including an emergency brake at a minimum speed of 20 km/h (approx. 16 mph)
    On the day of your module 1 test, you will be asked by the examiner to demonstrate your riding ability on either the left-hand or right-hand circuit. The standard off-road layout may change because of local conditions on the casual sites and where cattle are situated.

If you demonstrate riding skills of a dangerously incompetent level during module 1, you will not be allowed to take module 2.

If you pass module 1 you will receive a test pass certificate which you must bring with you when you take module 2.

Module 2 of the test is made up of the eyesight test, road safety questions and at least 30 minutes of road riding. Road riding will cover a variety of road and traffic conditions and will also include normal stops, hill and angle starts as well as taking water and a s**t.

Whadda ya think????

On a serious note I think you have a valid point. Even when riding a Bicycle they teach kids a preficiency test.

If you Ride, Drive Cycle on the roadsthen you should have some basic training.

4. Re: Risks of riding horses and motorbikes 
    I think they need lights and an emissions test. It may be alright for your roses, but it makes one hell of a mess of your bike.

5. Re: Risks of riding horses and motorbikes 
    I love John W's piece and I agree there should be some sort of test for ALL road users

BB
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

6. Re: Risks of riding horses and motorbikes 
    Platinum Member
    Does that include pedestrians

7. Re: Risks of riding horses and motorbikes 
    Pedestrians are the worst. Especially this time of year when it's dark.

8. Re: Risks of riding horses and motorbikes 
    Platinum Member
    They should be made to have hats with flashing lights and warning horns.

9. Re: Risks of riding horses and motorbikes 
    Diamond Member
    Sorry to say but I dont agree, I think all horses should be kept to fields and off of the roads.

The hoofs are metal and ruin the road yet they dont pay taxes, the Poo gets dropped and does not get picked up and stains and ruins the road, it also kills people (my mate was killed by Horse poo sliding into a road sign on a corner as he didnt see the Poo until it was too late round the bend)....

Or if you get me on a bad day I think all horses should be shot......But that is my views....

10. Re: Risks of riding horses and motorbikes 
    Active Member Thorkill_The_Tall's Avatar
    Remember, it's not the fault of the horses, blame the thoughtless, selfish owners.

As for defecating animals, just imagine the hoo-hah if I dropped me keks and shat in the road. Yes, I know there's a difference between omnivore faeces and that of a herbivore, but I would imagine a vegitarian human being would face prosecution for taking a dump on the Queen's highway.

Another thing - why do not horses need to have basic third party insurance? Your nag kicks a car and you can just claim it had been stung by an insect or spooked by a noise and escape liability. Is this fair?

Also, would we be allowed to let a child out on the public roads on a snorting, bucking works moto-crosser?

Food for though, eh?