Notices

Thread: Servicing your own bike...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Servicing your own bike... 
    The road bike is due a big service so I started on Sunday afternoon - easy bits first (oil and filter change, checked the pads, enough left for a while, not quite down to the wear marks, they can wait)
    It's time for a valve clearance check, the first time I've done the job on this bike. Have a browse through the manual on CD, doesn't look too difficult, the actual checking operation is exactly the same as on my old ZXRs, swapping shims a little more involved as the cams will have to come out..
    The bike was already on the workbench, bellypan and fairing sides removed, and I started this evening at 19:30, aiming to at least get as far as doing the checks... 3 hours later I'm now in the position to finally remove the cam cover so I call it a night... Jeez, are modern bikes complicated.. : road bikes especially - give me a race bike to work on any time - sooo many plugs to undo and stuff to get out of the way, and when I'd removed the injector bank I was faced with a thin rubber mat covering the top of the engine, that acts as a barrier to keep dirt and moisture away from all the electrics... easy enough, just pull that out of the way - not so fast...at the back of the engine it's threaded through both mounting bolts, so I'd need to remove them to free it off, and the top mounting bolts are already removed to gain access to the cylinder head so that wouldn't be a good idea, and at the front it goes over the top radiator mounts FFS! > Only course of action was to remove more of the fairing to access the rad mounts and free it off, and the mat is now rolled to the back of the motor, out of the way. Next step, remove plug caps.. except Nos. 1 & 4 won't come straight out as there are flat plates bolted beneath the frame spars to accept the top engine mounts and they inhibit plug cap removal, 6 bolts, only two of which are accessible with a socket... :-? got 'em all out without any drama and removed the plug caps, and it was 22:35 so time to say sod it and give up for the night...
    Modern bikes eh? on my old ZXR race bike I could have dropped the motor, rebuilt the top end and had it running again in that time (in my first race with Phase One we dropped a valve on the ZXR so we dropped the motor out, replaced barrels, head and one piston and rejoined the race in 57 minutes... honestly, it was pretty impressive to watch, and the late great David Jefferies got changed out of his leathers and helped me to strip the necessary bits off the spare engine, then got changed again and took the bike back out. Top man, he really was) [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

2. Re: Servicing your own bike... 
    Platinum Member
    and people complain when they have to bring to the professionals As I say if you aren't 100% knowledgeable and understanding of maintenance don't bother starting - this time of year we see so many bikes from peoples self servicing - with comments like it didn't rattle last year - won't start - oil pissing out of the drain plug etc etc If you have to think which way a bolt unbolts maybe DIY mechanics isn't for you [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

**this isn't aimed at Scotty as I know he knows what he's doing**

3. Re: Servicing your own bike... 
    I find it's all about patience.... I do all my own servicing and know the pain... but rushing and frustration produces mistakes.

But bike are getting worse. The Honda is all accessable and all you do is remove the tank to access the top of the engine... but ...The sv is a bu**er!!... getting to the rear cylinder takes nearly an hour...

Am witing to see how good the Gs is... so far I've only had a peek under the tank, but it looks well layed out...

The motto is to go careful, be slow, methodical and patient. And if in doubt ask!!!
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

4. Re: Servicing your own bike... 
    I admire people who can service their own bikes. I wouldn't dream of touching the MT-01. Dealer service every time. Drop it off the night before, go to the pub, home, sleep, go out for the day and then pick the bike up in the evening.

5. Re: Servicing your own bike... 
    Diamond Member
    I used to always do my own servicing until I got the V4 and all the gubbins with this one, so I have always taken it to Bike Treads.

6. Re: Servicing your own bike... 
    Platinum Member
    Good on you Scotty, I would not fancy servicing a new bike. [smiley=tekst-toppie.gif]

This is why I run old FJ’s; simple engineering, easy to service, all spares are available through the owners club plus tool hire for the bespoke parts.

7. Re: Servicing your own bike... 
    Modern bikes can be interesting to service I agree. Kawasaki have made life really hard with their monocoque (up and over) frames where the beams of the frame cover the top of the engine. R1's have too many fasteners and are abit tight around the engine. Sv's as said before are a pain especially getting to adjust the carbs/throttle bodies. Sad to say the smaller the bikes get the worse things get, but good on anybody who wants to service their bikes...just take your time...and if you mess it up, give me a call! ;D [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

[smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

8. Re: Servicing your own bike... 
    You have to actually do it to learn how. Start with small jobs and work your way up. Patience is the key and good tools - Do not start a job knowng that in 2 hours you need to ride it.

First time may take ages but you learn more all the time. Use a little bit of care. Bikes were fitted together in the factory - not forced together so if you start levering and bashing things with a hammer you are doing something wrong.

Us classic owners take photos as we strip things.

At least you know things are done if you do it yourself. On some of the VFR Hondas the front spark plugs don't get changed because there are a bugger to get too.

9. Re: Servicing your own bike... 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SupeRDel

Us classic owners take photos as we strip things.
    I don't do classics but also take piccys - mobile phone camera is a godsend

I know Jaydee at one point was doing lessons in the basics - guess thats stopped as he's back on crutches after him...ermm...trip down the stairs (that is what u said wasn't it ) Well worth doing rather than trying and doing it wrong

10. Re: Servicing your own bike... 
    when ever i replace the shims on the TDM i write down the sizes in sequence of the valves so next time i measure them i know which ones i have to get if i have to replace any if measurements are out of tolerance