Notices

Thread: Motorcycle Test Consultation

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Motorcycle Test Consultation 
    From Michael Penning (Parliamentary Under Secretary of State (Roads and Motoring), Transport):
    I am announcing today a review of motorcycle tests in Great Britain. The new two-part motorcycle test that was introduced in April 2009 has clearly led to some concern among motorcycle groups, particularly about the safety of the off-road module 1 part of the test and about the difficulty of accessing the limited number of off-road test centres. The new test was introduced in order to meet the requirements of the second EU directive on driving licences. While most elements in the module 1 test are required by the directive, there may be scope for us to make some changes to the way in which the test is carried out.

We will be working with the motorcycle community and road safety groups to look again at the current form of the motorcycle test. This review will look at the manoeuvres carried out in both modules 1 (off-road) and 2 (on-road) and whether these manoeuvres could safely be conducted in the on-road test.

The review will also look at other related motorcycle testing and training issues, including the options for training and testing for progressive access under the third driving licence directive and how any changes relate to wider proposals to improve motorcycle training and testing.

We are inviting views from members of the public, motorcycle riders, trainers, road safety groups and others on what aspects of the motorcycle test they want us to look at, including how and where they think motorcycle testing might best and most safely be carried out. Views should be submitted to the Department for Transport (RUSD4consultation@dft.gsi.gov.uk) by 31 July. We aim to conclude the review by the autumn.
    Good news... or a chance for them to mess things up even more?

2. Re: Motorcycle Test Consultation 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ro
    From Michael Penning (Parliamentary Under Secretary of State (Roads and Motoring), Transport):
    I am announcing today a review of motorcycle tests in Great Britain. The new two-part motorcycle test that was introduced in April 2009 has clearly led to some concern among motorcycle groups, particularly about the safety of the off-road module 1 part of the test and about the difficulty of accessing the limited number of off-road test centres. The new test was introduced in order to meet the requirements of the second EU directive on driving licences. While most elements in the module 1 test are required by the directive, there may be scope for us to make some changes to the way in which the test is carried out.

We will be working with the motorcycle community and road safety groups to look again at the current form of the motorcycle test. This review will look at the manoeuvres carried out in both modules 1 (off-road) and 2 (on-road) and whether these manoeuvres could safely be conducted in the on-road test.

The review will also look at other related motorcycle testing and training issues, including the options for training and testing for progressive access under the third driving licence directive and how any changes relate to wider proposals to improve motorcycle training and testing.

We are inviting views from members of the public, motorcycle riders, trainers, road safety groups and others on what aspects of the motorcycle test they want us to look at, including how and where they think motorcycle testing might best and most safely be carried out. Views should be submitted to the Department for Transport (RUSD4consultation@dft.gsi.gov.uk) by 31 July. We aim to conclude the review by the autumn.
    Good news... or a chance for them to mess things up even more?
    Governmetn being government, I reckon they'll just make it even worse ;D

3. Re: Motorcycle Test Consultation 
    I'm so glad I took my test overseas as I don't think I would have passed a UK test.

4. Re: Motorcycle Test Consultation 
    It's not often the DSA does a U-turn on policy. We'll see, but I'm not holding my breathe... :
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

5. Re: Motorcycle Test Consultation 
    It's a review. No mention of changing anything.

Chances are, the review will conclude that the current system is sound and that more centres are required.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

6. Re: Motorcycle Test Consultation 
    You are probably right Jon

BB
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

7. Re: Motorcycle Test Consultation 
    yup,thats my bet,£72million and counting wasted so that we can conform to tests that Brussels says are not required.Which "genius" thought up this codswollup in the first place.And in a couple of years time they are going to change it all anyway,Bigger bikes,24 for DAS.etc,etc. > > >

8. Re: Motorcycle Test Consultation 
    Exactly right, my kiwi mucker.... ;D I think It's a step towards changing the riding test again.. > Plant the seed early and all that tosh.. :-?

9. Re: Motorcycle Test Consultation 
    There's no getting away from it, they want us off the road. Although we are only a small number of road users, we make up for nearly 20% of serious and fatal accidents. Accidents cost money. It costs to send out Police and an ambulance, to give emergency care, to give life support, to give rehabilitation, to make an investigation into the causes. If they get most of us off the road, they reduce costs. I know it sounds synical but it's true.
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

10. Re: Motorcycle Test Consultation 
    I think those of us who are planning to, or in the process of taking our tests should get on with it.... PRONTO!!!
    There's no feelin' like 2 wheelin'