Notices

Thread: Hanging up my leathers.... :(

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Hanging up my leathers.... :( 
    Platinum Member
    well chaps and chappeses....its something I have been thinking about doing for some time now...

I have always 'struggled' a bit with riding and have never been a natural. I have owned 7 bikes in 2 years (!) done California Super Bike School, a track day, off roading in the Pyrenees, Bike safe and other things to name a few in order to improve my confidence and my riding ability...... But....... I just seem to have lost my mojo and sadly don't get much enjoyment out of it (those who came to Wales will know what I mean)

I am going to give myself a couple of weeks to think seriously about it but I am pretty sure I am going to sell the bikes and take a break from biking for a while....until I can find my mojo again. I will probably keep my off roader for a bit of fun, but I just find myself getting too stressed on the road and end up beating myself up over my riding. Thank you to everyone that has helped me on here - lots of helpful advice and friendly faces I am going to think long and hard about this , but I just want to say thank you to you all for some very kind words this weekend.

2. Re: Hanging up my leathers.... :( 
    Platinum Member
    Sorry to hear that Star

But I know exactly how you feel, as a couple of years ago I felt the same a quit for a while and have now recently got myself a bike again (albeit the wrong one) But thats my fault not the bikes.

I should have bought a bigger framed bike as my one seems a little small for my build.

Anyway back to the topic, hope you get yourself sorted out soon and take care [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

3. Re: Hanging up my leathers.... :( 
    That's a shame about you're biking woes.

Maybe you're thinking about the riding too much instead of letting instinct take over.

There are probably very few people on here who can actually 'ride' bikes but still go out when the weather's at it's best.

The last thing you really want to do is give it up completely because you'll find it even harder in the future to get back on one.

You'll find your 'Mojo' again and start to enjoy the thrill of riding and you don't need to worry about things all the time because that's when you begin to not enjoy what you're doing.

If it's a confidence thing, then that will come in time. I'm not sure how long you've been riding now but I bet it's not long enough to feel fully incontrol which will affect your confidence. I also take it that you've been accident free because that too will affect you.

Obviously have a long hard think about it and, if you're still not feeling the biking love, have a break for a bit but not too long otherwise you'll lose the confidence that you have now regardless of how little of it you think you have.

Good luck with your choice, hopefully you stick with it [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

4. Re: Hanging up my leathers.... :( 
    Halina - I know you said at the weekend that you feel you are not a natural biker as it goes against the way you think about things in life in general but I just want to say, you had the confidence to lead a ride ( very well by all accounts) AND to do a trackday. I would never lead a ride as there is too much to think about alongside riding and hat off to you for doing that and the trackday. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

It really doesn't matter how fast / slow anyone rides - it is about enjoyment but I'm sensing from your post (and the weekend) the 'enjoyment' has done a bit of a temporary disappearing act. Only you know whether it is something you want to do in life or not and giving yourself some time to think about it will at least establish whether you miss it or not. We would REALLY miss you on rides but hopefully you would still want to be part of the 'biker community' and come to meets etc... Maybe a short break will bring about a renewed enthusiasm and return your 'mojo' - I really do hope so but like I say, only you know how you really feel about it all. I wouldn't want to encourage you to keep riding if it really does stress you out and make you unhappy as that's never going to be fun and is not what it should be about but I really will be keeping my fingers crossed that something changes for you [smiley=thumbsup.gif] Look after yourself

5. Re: Hanging up my leathers.... :( 
    Hey there
    I was as you know behind you for a good part of the Wale trip and think you worry too much lol.

Your progressive speed,obsevation skills and general bike control are spot on.Yes you are a little over cautius on the bends but thats nothing that cant be sorted over time.

just enjoy the ride whatever the speed....I had a fantastic time doing the same spped as you all weekend.

Would be a shame for you to hang up your leathers after all the work you have put in.

6. Re: Hanging up my leathers.... :( 
    Quote Originally Posted by matrix
    Hey there
    I was as you know behind you for a good part of the Wale trip and think you worry too much lol.

Your progressive speed,obsevation skills and general bike control are spot on.Yes you are a little over cautius on the bends but thats nothing that cant be sorted over time.

just enjoy the ride whatever the speed....I had a fantastic time doing the same spped as you all weekend.

Would be a shame for you to hang up your leathers after all the work you have put in.
    Alex - you really have that spot on - observation skills and general bike control are what define us as 'good' riders and Halina's skills in this area are excellent [smiley=thumbsup.gif] Well said [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

7. Re: Hanging up my leathers.... :( 
    As a green novice myself I can't say whether your good or bad but I enjoyed having you along this weekend and hope you can find that elusive mojo soon as it would be good to do a Welsh trip together again.

Best of luck Star

8. Re: Hanging up my leathers.... :( 
    I'm crap at riding, I'm never going to be able to do track days, I sh*t myself on corners and I can only wear the centre of my tyre down but I still enjoy it and I know that the more I do it the better I'll be (well, more improved anyway ;D)

Think of all the pros and cons before you make your decision [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

9. Re: Hanging up my leathers.... :( 
    Diamond Member
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't do it!!!!

Ride through one winter, you'll be shocked at how much you'll enjoy riding the following summer ;D

Nah, seriously, you're thinking about it too much, that's all. The only way you're going to get better at riding is riding. Don't be so hard on yourself. The marking system means everyone can ride at their own pace, so why worry? Let the ones that want a blast go for it, while you and me chill at the back ;D

You gotta do what you gotta do, for sure, but I think you're simply over analising your riding. Don't think it, feel it. Don't tell yourself you should ride any different because you've been riding now for an x amount of years blah, blah, blah, just enjoy the ride, the rest will come, like the right man, when you least expect it.

However, if you do decide to leave, you have to promise to call me every day, come to see me at work and be my pillion. I reckon if you ride pillion with me once and experience for yourself my suppa duppa crappy skills you'll realise you're fine and you will never ever quit. ;D

10. Re: Hanging up my leathers.... :( 
    I'm so sorry to hear this Star, I don't think you should stop for a while but keep at it, stop worrying and just relax and do your own thing. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

BB

We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”