Notices

Thread: Want to learn to Wheelie ?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. Want to learn to Wheelie ? 
    Diamond Member
    This idea hatched over a cuppa T in Cafe beamer.

This is purely to explore the possibility of learning to wheelie. Found a school in Blandford so not far to ride.

Cost is £150.00 per day for a maximum of 6 persons per day. However, the more we can book they may be willing to bring the price down. Still in negoiations.

Add your name to the list then I can if interested. As yet no dates finalised
    http://www.southcoastwheelies.co.uk/index.html

Monster Man
    Dabz
    Ninjazx6r

2. Re: Want to learn to Wheelie ? 
    Went to that school last year or the year before. They're a good bunch but be warned the entire day is spent outdoors... there is no indoors. Tea and coffee are made from the back of a van. It's an exposed place so unless it's sunny it's probably going to be cold and windy. The bikes are knackered which is no surprise as they spend all day having people attempting to pull wheelies on them. No question it's a fun day out but I came away feeling it wasn't worth the £150.00. Perhaps if I'd binned one of the bikes I'd have felt differently

The whole day consists of 30 mins instruction on one technique to wheelie (stamp on brake, rev engine, drop clutch) and then the rest of the day trying to do it. Depending on how many sign up for the day will dictate how many goes you get. I recall there were 6 on the day I went, 2 bikes... so 5 mins on the bike, 10 off.

Regards,

3. Re: Want to learn to Wheelie ? 
    Diamond Member
    i once had a plan.....
    get the same number of people together, all chuck in £100...
    buy a KLR600 off of ebay (or similar)
    il teach you lot how to wheelie.....

you will then learn a controlled technique, off road, at a much reduced speed (safer) AND......
    at the end of it youll own a KLR600 which can be sold on, or used as an offroad tool....

im still willing to teach..............freeish( kebabs gratefully received)... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

4. Re: Want to learn to Wheelie ? 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hotdog
    Went to that school last year or the year before. They're a good bunch but be warned the entire day is spent outdoors... there is no indoors. Tea and coffee are made from the back of a van. It's an exposed place so unless it's sunny it's probably going to be cold and windy. The bikes are knackered which is no surprise as they spend all day having people attempting to pull wheelies on them. No question it's a fun day out but I came away feeling it wasn't worth the £150.00. Perhaps if I'd binned one of the bikes I'd have felt differently

The whole day consists of 30 mins instruction on one technique to wheelie (stamp on brake, rev engine, drop clutch) and then the rest of the day trying to do it. Depending on how many sign up for the day will dictate how many goes you get. I recall there were 6 on the day I went, 2 bikes... so 5 mins on the bike, 10 off.

Regards,

Thanks

Dave. Trying to get as many as possible & do a block booking over a couple of days. It does say 6 per day but as a WB group booking may reduce price thats the plan. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

5. Re: Want to learn to Wheelie ? 
    Diamond Member
    the "stamp on the brake and clutch it up is not (in my opinion) the best way of learning........everything happens really fast that way.....as soon as it begins to come up, the reaction will be to shut it off.........and the front wheel comes down....

if you buy the big single cylinder 4 stroke offroader as in my post above il show you a much more controllable technique, in safer conditions........

6. Re: Want to learn to Wheelie ? 
    that sounds like a plan..even something like a cheap bandit would be pretty robust for taking some WB style abuse!
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

7. Re: Want to learn to Wheelie ? 
    Diamond Member
    sorry, dont want to steal the thread away from Monster Man, just offering an alternative.

the Wheelie day is good for Instant Thrill and photo sessions,with minimal "turn up-wheelie-go home" hastle.
    and i do wish Monster man and all others good luck, could be a great day.

like i said, dont want to hijack the post so will start another one.

8. Re: Want to learn to Wheelie ? 
    Diamond Member
    Not me sorry to say, I like to keep my wheels on the road and stay safe, but you guys carry on.

9. Re: Want to learn to Wheelie ? 
    This is a quote from a mate of mine who did the southcoast wheelie school a couple of years back.

Myself and two friends did the Blandford school yesterday, so as requested, I'll put a little summary up of how the day went.

The school is run by Neil, a very friendly and seemingly talented stunt rider. He provides Bandit 600s with switches on the back to stop you flipping the bikes. Each two riders share a bike, which to be honest works well as the constant practice is hard on the clutch hand.

I went with the expectation that wheelieing cannot be that hard, and I am bound to be doing 3rd gear monsters by lunchtime. How wrong I was Embarassed

Neil teaches a clutch technique, which is applicable to all bikes and (within power constraints) all speeds. The technique in a nutshell, is to use rear brake to compress the forks whilst timing throttle and dumped clutch to work with the rebounding forks. I found this very, very hard to get my head around and to put it into context, I have a fair few years racing behind me.

I was finding that I was becoming an absolute master at rolling burnouts, but was not managing to get the front wheel up. By the end of the day though, it was definately becoming more consistent and much easier. The kill/flip switches are superb as you can get away with being totally ham fisted.

My only real reservation from the day is that I did not feel that Neil was able to teach particularly well. It was more like reading the technique in a book, then having all the practice facilities made available to try and implement what you have just read. The three of us all found it hard to master, and Neil was not hugely able to explain or teach in a different way. It was a case of him constantly repeating what he had already told us, rather than being able to explain it in a different, more enlightening way.

So bottom line was that it was a great fun day, and by the end of the day I could keep the thing on the back wheel for as far as 1st gear allows. However, do not think that you will ever leave the day as an overnight stunt god, not going to happen.

Despite my eventual ability to loft the front wheel of a Bandit, I did not leave with any confidence that I could do the same on my M1H.

I would recommend the day, and I think I'll probably go back myself for a second go, but I would suggest setting realistic expectations. As Neil himself states on the day, if it were so easy then there would be no need for wheelie schools and that everyone would already be doing it.

Don't think he did go back in the end.

I know a few people who've done the Jimmy Fireblade school who really enjoyed trying to get it up oooooerrrrr
    Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.

10. Re: Want to learn to Wheelie ? 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnydangerous
    sorry, dont want to steal the thread away from Monster Man, just offering an alternative.

the Wheelie day is good for Instant Thrill and photo sessions,with minimal "turn up-wheelie-go home" hastle.
    and i do wish Monster man and all others good luck, could be a great day.

like i said, dont want to hijack the post so will start another one.
    Jaydee.
    Dont think for 1 minute your taking the thread away. I am seriuosly considering the option of a bike share once paid out can use it anytime to mess around & practice. If others think the same then we can put the plan into action.

Rather spend £100 on a bike share than a 1 off day. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]