Notices

Thread: Storing a bike over winter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Re: Storing a bike over winter 
    A little drop of upper cylinder lubricant in the plug holes is a good idea to stop the rings cold weilding - and as others have said - disconnect battery and keep warm - protect the tyres - bung the exhaust and cover it up.

The redex will make it smoke like billio the first time you start it, but not for long - better than damaging the bore.

Of course - the best way is to ride it a just a couple of miles every week or so

2. Re: Storing a bike over winter 
    Don't want to contradict some of the advice already given but I always store my bike with a full tank as otherwise condensation forms inside the tank and you end up with water collecting at the bottom of tank (which incidentlly can be removed by adding some meths - 100ml per two gallons- meths readily mixes with both petrol and water so mixes them both together allowing the water to get burnt-off with the rest of the fuel).

I stick the battery on trickle charge once every 4-6 weeks for a couple of days (usually after turning the engine over - lubricates the engine inards). Fluids topped up on storage.

Lastly, I liberally coat the whole bike (protecting the brakes/brake discs of course) with ACF50. This is a water repellant and stops the winter moisture getting into knooks and crannies and forming rust. Those wanting to use their bike over the winter months coat the engine and lower part of bike and ride thru' the winter, then just wash off all the winter crap at the beginning of the better Spring weather.

Then just cover bike with one of GW's cheap dust covers.

However, everyone has their own way of doing things, i.e there's no right or wrong way; so just do what you feel is right.

Aaron

3. Re: Storing a bike over winter 
    If you dont treat the disks and pads with water repellent, then at least move the bike a few feet forward and back a few times every coiple of weeks, applying the brakes lightly otherwise you will end up with ceased brakes.

[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

4. Re: Storing a bike over winter 
    It's a CG, bump start it in the Spring... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

5. Re: Storing a bike over winter 
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Able
    It's a CG, bump start it in the Spring... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    Don't they still have kick start???

TBH, I don't do a lot when storing a bike over winter. I just ensure it is in good health before putting it away (oil, tyres, chain, etc) and then cover it over in the corner 'till spring. If you are outside then removing the battery is good, as is ensuring that condensation dosen't form inside the cover.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

6. Re: Storing a bike over winter 
    My 2P's worth

Best to ride it - even if it is just 10 miles or so every couple of weeks. Keeps the brakes free of rust stops bearings drying out and burns off any condensation from the engine.
    Change the oil in spring

But if you must store it

Trickle charge the battery,
    Lube the chain,
    Fill tank,
    Push the engine to compression (then both valves will be closed), Why bother to change oil before storage if you aren't going to ride it? Change it after the first ride in spring

7. Re: Storing a bike over winter 
    Quote Originally Posted by amills
    Don't want to contradict some of the advice already given but I always store my bike with a full tank as otherwise condensation forms inside the tank and you end up with water collecting at the bottom of tank (which incidentlly can be removed by adding some meths - 100ml per two gallons- meths readily mixes with both petrol and water so mixes them both together allowing the water to get burnt-off with the rest of the fuel).

I stick the battery on trickle charge once every 4-6 weeks for a couple of days (usually after turning the engine over - lubricates the engine inards). Fluids topped up on storage.

Lastly, I liberally coat the whole bike (protecting the brakes/brake discs of course) with ACF50. This is a water repellant and stops the winter moisture getting into knooks and crannies and forming rust. Those wanting to use their bike over the winter months coat the engine and lower part of bike and ride thru' the winter, then just wash off all the winter crap at the beginning of the better Spring weather.

Then just cover bike with one of GW's cheap dust covers.

However, everyone has their own way of doing things, i.e there's no right or wrong way; so just do what you feel is right.

Aaron
    +1 on fuel,..leave it full,..no condensation = no rust!!!!