Notices

Thread: Recession????

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Recession???? 
    I don't think dealers are feeling the pinch, ringing around dealers for a new bike, so far only 1 has returned my call - since monday!!

2. Re: Recession???? 
    Know the feeling.

Went into and unamed large dealer looking at a new Bonnie. I wad interested, but the salesman wasn't so after 30mins trying to get served, then being fobbed off with a leaflet I already had, I made my feelings clear and departed....

Never been interested in buying a new bike since!!! Stick to 2nd hand... save the cash!!!
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

3. Re: Recession???? 
    The attention received by a salesman is inversely proportional to the actual desire to buy!

4. Re: Recession???? 
    I was told today by the manager of a large dealership in Bristol (not that one) that used prices are set to tumble over the winter and they're desperate to get rid of stock. You'd think they'd snatch your arm off. Never liked salesmen. They always make you feel like they're doing you a favour.

5. Re: Recession???? 
    I recall going to look at buying a bike from one Bristol dealership only to find him talking to the fella I was with as tho' I wasn't there! Never mind that he wasn't going to ride it or pay for it >

Whenever I want to feel invisible I go to the same dealership..... times without number I have walked round there and only spoken to the people in the cafe.... :

Mind you I have done the same in a certain dealership with cafe towards the north of Wiltshire....

Must have the sort of attitude about me that says 'KEEP AWAY'

BB
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

6. Re: Recession???? 
    Had the same thing last year. Hung around in the shop talking to a salesman. he eventually went off to get the manager and "sort something out" for me. Came back 10 minutes later and offered me £250 off. I wandered off laughing....never been back since.
    "the empty can rattles the most!"

https://www.facebook.com/neil.hudd

7. Re: Recession???? 
    Friend of mine is having the exact opposite from a Cheltenham BMW dealer, i.e. falling over backwards to get a sale. He's offering a cracking trade-in price and is including a series of accessories in price.

Seems there is a complacency issue with the multi-franchaise dealers probably not helped by most Brits not prepared to haggle and more importantly, walk-away. I did this when I was looking for a Jap cruiser. Went prepared with some market/dealer research I'd done. Stated terms I was prepared to accept, didn't get so thanked the rep, left my number in case they changed their minds and walked away. 40 mins later got a call with an offer close to what I wanted but got them to include a 10% discount on some accessories/kit I was also intending to buy. Rode away a week later with a shiney new ride.

Stay friendly (build a rapport), know what you want and more importantly know your walk-away point (but leave the door open for rep to re-engage without losing face).

Moral: if you don't ask, you don't get.

8. Re: Recession???? 
    i have too agree the bmw sales are v professional but interested in you , i have had a couple of test rides at bmw dealers and they are all to pleased to help BUT you ring up a multi franchise dealer in swindin and they dont even call you back ? ......................so bike was bought else where!!! go figure???

9. Re: Recession???? 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_geoghegan
    Never liked salesmen. They always make you feel like they're doing you a favour.
    Cheers then! :-? I personally try to bend over backwards to help customers - the ones I don't like are the ones with ****ty attitudes - ****ty attitude = worse deal have a nice attitude and we'd try more as makes it more enjoyable.

But I must admit I don't like the attitudes of many sales people I have encountered whether it be bikes, home goods etc I personally don't like to be pounced on as soon as I walk in the door - I'll greet people but not pounce

Then again I only have 2 days remaining as a sales person [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

10. Re: Recession???? 
    Platinum Member
    Spud - what bike you looking for?