Notices

Thread: Right Fuel ??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Right Fuel ?? 
    commando1966
    Hiya folk's .. probly a dumb Q but is Unleaded Petrol ok for an old 1982 Honda CX500 ?

2. Re: Right Fuel ?? 
    from my knowledge, all bikes use unleaded petrol

3. Re: Right Fuel ?? 
    This Link should help

4. Re: Right Fuel ?? 
    commando1966
    Ok cool .. and thanks to the LARGE response (lol) look's like Unleaded fuel is fine ! :

5. Re: Right Fuel ?? 
    Platinum Member
    unleaded fuel will be fine in your bike [smiley=thumbsup.gif] i run my 57 tbird on it no problem at all,in the late eighties i went to great expence having my 61 bonnie converted to run on it, when unleaded first came out there was a lot of concern in the classic car/bike press as the older engines rely on the lead in the petrol to lubricate the valve seats,a lot of it is unfounded unless you do very high mileage or its a racing machine

6. Re: Right Fuel ?? 
    Unleaded is no prob with 80's Hondas. They seem to have had have the hardened valve seats as standard. Ran my Superdream on unleaded no issues. Also run my '62 cub on unleaded.

As Thunderbird says, it makes no odds anyway unless you are doing high mileages.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

7. Re: Right Fuel ?? 
    I have run all my bikes over the years on whatever was available -leaded, unleaded, whatever. My late hubby ran his old BSA M20 on parafin during fuel shortages! He also ran it on a diesel/unleaded mixture when I made a mistake in the garage filling up the car! :

Thrifty sort of bloke! ;D ;D

BB

We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

8. Re: Right Fuel ?? 
    i tried to run my audi TT on diesel once, lol by accident

9. Re: Right Fuel ?? 
    Ran a Honda Express on diesel.... it seemed to run better than on petrol.... The levels of smoke were awsome!!!
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

10. Re: Right Fuel ?? 
    On the subject of right fuel, I happened to read an article I think in 'Bike' about whether the Super unleaded fuel the manufacturer claim boosts engine peformance is actualy any better than standard unleaded. Conclusion was there was no difference when testing litre sports bikes. Only if the engine was able to remap it self to the high octance would it make any difference and even then the results were so small you wouldnt notice.