Notices

Thread: A question

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. A question 
    You are riding your bike tomorrow and a deer jumps out in front of you resulting in a crash.

You have sustained crippling injuries and cannot work.

Where does your income come from?

Serious question

2. Re: A question 
    hummm good question, might just go and check out the small print on my private insurance policy!
    It's Lilac... not pink!

3. Re: A question 
    as far as your bike insurance is concerned you are deemed as AT FAULT because there is no 3rd party to claim against. we have had this happen to us in the car, unless you have personal income protection insurance i think you only get SSP but not 100% sure.

4. Re: A question 
    Diamond Member
    My Dad hit a Deer in his car and as he had fully comp cover the insurers paid for the repair to his car. Not sure about personal injuries though. That was about 10 years ago.

5. Re: A question 
    I had exactly that happen to me in 2006. Fortunatly, despite some serious injuries and although I have some ever lasting effects I am still able to work normally.

As LadyZ says, you are deemed at fault as there is no 3rd party to claim off.

I happen to have an insurance policy which should pay out if needed which it fortunatly wasn't in this case. Must admit tho' I've never checked to see how long it would continue for... :-?

BB
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

6. Re: A question 
    Platinum Member
    Since I crashed on track and was stuck in hospital I always ensure I have personal accident insurance for a few quid a week I can't risk being without it and will cover until I'm back to health. But check the small print on all as a lot don't cover bike accidents!!

7. Re: A question 
    this is a brilliant question, maybe we have someone on WB that works in the insurance industry and knows of personal insurance for bikers for such instances. [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

8. Re: A question 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tracey_c
    this is a brilliant question, maybe we have someone on WB that works in the insurance industry and knows of personal insurance for bikers for such instances. [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    That I will be able to look into next week and see what I can sort out [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

9. Re: A question 
    Platinum Member
    Where does your income come from?
    Well answering that personally, it would initally come from my employer on their sick pay scheme for 6 months.
    After six months the PHI (permanent health insurance) would kick it at 75% salary until retirement.

Answering your question generally (and I guess you are trying to highlight an issue here) then there is no 3rd party to claim from and your motor insurance does not provide for income loss, so it's up to the individual to insure themselves.

Each person should get advice, there are big differences between PHI, critical illness (CI), payment protection and ASU (accident sickness and redundancy).
    In my opinion (FWIW) PHI is more suitable for this scenario as it pays an income until retirement if you cannot work. There is usually a deferred period which you should set to tie in with your employers sick pay scheme.

Be aware that critical illness only covers certain illnesses and will provide a lump sum which is fine for paying for treatment or house modifications, but is not sufficient for a long term income.
    You could be unable to work but not have a "critical" illness.
    Advisors like to sell these policies so make sure you are getting good advice and understand what you are buying.

works in the insurance industry and knows of personal insurance for bikers for such instances
    It's a good idea, but be aware that this type of scenario is not specific to biking.
    We could all develop a long term illness or have a non-biking accident.

10. Re: A question 
    I have personal income protection for me, and key man insurance so that any drop in income at work is also covered
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers