Notices

Thread: Prejudice.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. Prejudice. 
    Whilst sitting in the car on the way to yet another Christmas shopping trip, me and 'er indoors were listening to a debate on Radio 2 about a group of black people who were asked to pre-pay in a Pizza Hut cos the management didn't like the look of them. I know this may not seem to have a link to bikes, but I remember being asked to pre-pay in a petrol station in Cardiff cos of the number of people nicking fuel. At the time I was livid, and told the management what I thought of their policy, bearing in mind, the most fuel I could get away with would be about £15 worth, compared to the average car at about £70. Add to the fact I was on a liveried bike (CSM Rider Training plastered all over it). Regardless of whether I would run out of fuel or not, I refused to pre-pay and rode on to the next petrol station. What made me particularly incensed was them announcing it over the forecourt tanoy, which made me feel like a criminal. Since then, I have refused to remove my helmet when paying, although I always have my wallet out ready to pay (not a gun). They can take my money with my helmet on, or not take it at all as far as I'm concerned.

I did also have an experience many years ago where my girlfriend and I were caught by the landlord as we walked into a busy beer garden, and ordered to leave before we had even set foot in the pub.

Has anyone else suffered such prejudice? >
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

2. Re: Prejudice. 
    oh yes....... I was planning a trip for a severely disabled young man to Cotswold Wildlife Park (yes, i will name and shame)
    I rang to find out ticket prices....to be told he would have to pay for 2 people (himself and carer). Now I could have paid for myself but my argument is why should a man, who cannot walk or eat unaided have to pay twice for a 'luxury' that an able bodied person takes for granted?? 'Do you provide carers then?' was my next question as this would reduce the cost for him, No was the reply.
    I asked how they could justify the fact that he would have to pay double to visit a place he would love to be able to visit alone if it were possible..... they said too many people pretend to be disabled!!!!
    I said the wheelchair and physical appearance were a slight give-away ( I was beginning to get slighty cross by this point). She explained some people 'say' they have unseen disabilities etc and so its hard to tell if they are or not (I can see the point she was trying to make but could not seem to get her to understand what severe physical disabilities are)
    And no we never went as the person in question could not afford it and neither could I.
    And yet other places like Longleat, The Bird Sanctuary at Andover (to name a few) make concessions and go overboard for their disabled visitors.

3. Re: Prejudice. 
    I have been refused service in a pub when I was much younger cos my mrs looked too young, she doesn't drink anyway so it would have been the usual lemonade and lime.

I calais I had to hand in a credit card before they would switch the pump on but then it was the same for everyone.

I think it was digusting Beamer how CWP acted, not as if it would hit their profit margin is it?

4. Re: Prejudice. 
    Diamond Member
    Many retail outlets in probably every town and city across the country discriminate against the younger generation on a daily basis. Signs such as, "Only two children allowed in shop at one time" are commonplace. Three years ago when my daughter was 15, she entered a well known store in Bristol with the intention of buying a Christmas present for her lovely old Dad. At this point a shop assistant pounced and advised her that because she was under 16 she could not come in to the store unless accompanied by an adult. I went back to the store to challenge their blatant age discriminatory policy. The store manager informed me that the policy was introduced to tackle shop-lifting. I responded by suggesting that the store should consider banning everyone from all age groups, as some adults also steal from shops. >

5. Re: Prejudice. 
    My friend Neil who is fast aproaching the big 5 0 was refused entry to a bar in bath because the jumper he was wearing had a hood on it. The doorman was very apologetic but said those were the rules.

Invariably these rules are set by people who have very little experience with the people they are supposed to be serving.

Leave it Ken, leave it............ ;D

6. Re: Prejudice. 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_geoghegan
    My friend Neil who is fast aproaching the big 5 0 was refused entry to a bar in bath because the jumper he was wearing had a hood on it. The doorman was very apologetic but said those were the rules.

Invariably these rules are set by people who have very little experience with the people they are supposed to be serving.

Leave it Ken, leave it............ ;D
    Ye sound advice mate, I could fill a few pages on this subject - perhaps I should go on the Old gits thread and have a moan. lol ;D

7. Re: Prejudice. 
    Platinum Member
    We got called over the station tanoy to take out lids off before the pump would be turned on in Southampton (on the main drag down by the docks). Apparently kids on scooters were riding off without paying. We clearly were't kids and weren't on scooters, but still were subjected to this ****.

I usually take my lid off anyway as I can't hear what the shop dude is saying to me with it on and earplugs in, either that or go to a pay-at-pump place if I know there's one near, but surely in this day and age it's a bit crap to discriminated against bikers as so many of us are rich well-to-do middle aged professionals, especially because of something a kid on a scooter has done.

Heard a good story from a biker who was also a doctor. Him and his mate got turned away from a pub they'd stopped at for a meal as they were on their bikes, with some "we don't serve your kind in here" type of comment.

Not long after he was out on some event with other medical types in suits in a coach and stopped at the same place. The manager was pleased to see so many customers coming in, anticipating a good turnover of cash, but didn't recognise the guy he'd previously turned away.

The biker (now in suited doctor mode) was heading the party, walked up to the manager, said "You'll let me in now I'm in a suit, but you wouldn't serve me the other day when I came in on my bike would you?" The manager started to recognise the biker and make excuses.

The biker turned round said to his party and said "They don't serve bikers in here, so refused me service the other day, I suggest we go somewhere else where we'll all be welcome" and led them all back out to the coach.
    www.shinybikesyndrome.co.uk - Protection through innovation

8. Re: Prejudice. 
    Back in the early '80s I frequented a pub in a village near to the farm where I worked, went there fairly often. A year or so later I turned up one evening with a few mates on bikes (not a crowd, no more than three or four bikes) and we were told by the landlord that we could only come in if we parked the bikes out of sight round the back. As we'd specifically ridden 20 miles to get there we grudgingly complied as it was worth it once inside, the real ales and Thai food were excellent (and remained so when I last visited the place about four years ago). Fortunately we don't get so many of the old prejudices any more, but if I'm ever asked to remove my helmet at a filling station I take my money elsewhere > If they have cameras then they've got your number already, and the absurd thing is being asked to remove the lid after filling up in order to pay FFS! :
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

9. Re: Prejudice. 
    Diamond Member
    I personally don't mind too much if that happens. If I get asked to remove my helmet, I just do it. The guy behind the counter/business owner doesn't know the difference and he's just protecting his interests. We have to accept that there are a large number of motorcyclists (albeit probably chavy ped boys) that do drive off without paying, and I'm sure the pub owner in question had issues with some bikers at some point and rather than take the risk again, he just says no. It should be our job to respectfully remove our helmets, or when you go in to the pub in a suit, to politely explain. That way you stand a chance of changing attitudes.

I consider it part of my job to try to chnge attitudes towards bikers by dealing with these situations respectfully, and in a way not 'typically associated with bikers'. Sadly, we are part of a stereotype. And while the majority of us here may not fit that stereotype, the reason that they exist is becuase a lot of people do. It's the same for black people, gay people etc

I heard that story on the radio abuot the black Rugby players and thought they were stupid. Had they have poitely accepted that a significant portion of young criminals were black, hence why the manager was just being cautious, and paid a deposit ahead of their meal, then the managers attitude may have been changed. Now he has his back up and probably feels he was quite right to ask for payment up front.

The only story here I feel that really was bad, is the case of Cotswold wildlife park. In that case, it wouldn't have seriously damaged them to let them both in, even if the disability was faked. My other half and I are going the process of registering to become respite foster carers for disabled children, and that's terrible behaviour for a family park.

This thread is entitled PREJUDICE. Are any of the peoples examples here really prejudice, or are they calculated decisions based on their experiences, or images portrayed in our media? Perhaps that amounts to the same thing....

10. Re: Prejudice. 
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Able
    . Since then, I have refused to remove my helmet when paying, although I always have my wallet out ready to pay (not a gun). They can take my money with my helmet on, or not take it at all as far as I'm concerned.

Ditto. I detest having to remove my lid. Have got the open face for this...

My only expierence was after I hit a dog on the way home a few years back. The coppers were called, the owners of the dog admitted it was their fault for not having it on a lead, a off duty copper witnessed the accident and gave her account, but I got pulled into the car, questioned, age, insurance, lisence, how fast was i going and then read the riot act.... For doing bugger all bar fall off and see an animal killed..... made my blood boil.... >

On a different note, a guy I worked with when I was an apprentice rode a scooter into work. He bought a brand new one and was riding in when the coppers pulled him. According to the guy, the copper got out with a grin on his face and asked "where's your L plates sunny?" The guy removed his had and commented that he didn't need L plates, the copper recoiled and cleared off.

The guy was 63 years old and had been riding since he was a teenager... ;D
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"