Notices

Thread: Small warning for users of A4 Marlborough - Calne

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Small warning for users of A4 Marlborough - Calne 
    Just thought I'd pop a small warning up on the site.

A few weeks back, it would seem the council decided to do something daft and IMO, downright stupid.

As you come off Beckhampton Roundabout, heading towards Calne, there is now a concrete island, and I suspect there will shortly be a keep-left bollard atop it before too long.

It's in a position where it will be quite easy to come off the roundabout behind something big and slow, with the vehicle in front blocking view of the island/bollard, which will then become remarkably apparent when you pull out to overtake the slower vehicle up the hill.

I suspect this because it's at just about exactly the point I have done this hundreds of times - there have been times in the past where I have been already doing 70 by the time I crossed the spot the island now sits on.

To further my point, this evening my little brother was coming home from work, and was behind some idiot chav in a barried-up Peug-troen/ Cit-geot thing, who went to barrel past the car in front, off the roundabout, and then had to slam the anchors on dramatically, forcing him to emergency stop in turn.

BE AWARE, FOLKS. I can see a big accident happening there before very long at all.

2. Re: Small warning for users of A4 Marlborough - Calne 
    Thanks for the tip off. One of my favorite roads so i shall remember that
    "the empty can rattles the most!"

https://www.facebook.com/neil.hudd

3. Re: Small warning for users of A4 Marlborough - Calne 
    Platinum Member
    nice one dude I also use this road a lot [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

4. Re: Small warning for users of A4 Marlborough - Calne 
    Nice one. I'm taking a mates bike out that way today for a blat so will be prepared [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

5. Re: Small warning for users of A4 Marlborough - Calne 
    They are also in the process of sticking an island in on the A4 on the Marlborough side too.

BB
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

6. Re: Small warning for users of A4 Marlborough - Calne 
    Council obviously has some spare money knocking around... since when has this roundabout caused any kind of problems? :-?

7. Re: Small warning for users of A4 Marlborough - Calne 
    Never to my knowledge. Even though the race horses cross a couple of hundred yards up from the roundabout, and there's a turning to the right a couple of hundred yards further yet. I've never even seen any problem with people overtaking up the hill, past the turn to the gallops, though I've thought it could be potentially dangerous. The cross-hatchings I can understand, that just warns people there are hazards ahead in the middle lane, but concrete islands just strike me as stupid.

Whereabouts are they putting an island in on the Marlb end, BB?
    I've not been out that way for quite a while now, being that I'm now working at the Bug & Spider.

8. Re: Small warning for users of A4 Marlborough - Calne 
    Platinum Member
    the other one is just before you get to the pub and sticks out in each lane barely enough room to squeeze a buss through, it's crap

9. Re: Small warning for users of A4 Marlborough - Calne 
    'The Pub'?

Surely, not the Bell at Overton?

Or wait, do you mean at the end of Marlb High Street?

10. Re: Small warning for users of A4 Marlborough - Calne 
    No, the pub at Beckhampton....

BB
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”