Notices

Thread: Any engineers here?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Any engineers here? 
    Diamond Member
    I need to find a safe, secure and waterproof way of giving me storage on my bike (02 plate ZX6r) without adding top box mounts. I want to keep t looking 'cool' for want of a better word when the box isn't there.

I came up with the idea of buying a second rear seat from a breaker, having the padding and leather taken off the top, and bolting on a top box. This could then lock into place instead of the standard seat when I have stuff to carry (for work etc need space for suit, shoes & laptop).

Firstly, is there any reason why this might not work, and secondly, is there anyone who thinks they might be able to help me with such a project? Quite frankly, I'm amazed that nothing like this already exists. I'm certain that if we could make it work, other sports bike riders may be interested in having one done as there are times when we all need to carry something and it's a pain using luggage cargo nets and waterproof coverings that usually aren't as waterproof as described!

Alternatively, is there such a product already that I just haven't found? The nearest thing I could see was a rear seat cowl that was exanded and could take a small amount of luggage (it's called the smuggler!) but it's almost £900 from M&P!!!! That's about £825 more than I wanted to pay! lol

2. Re: Any engineers here? 
    Diamond Member
    update:

on ebay - rear seat £5, top box £25-30

3. Re: Any engineers here? 
    Platinum Member
    Just get a voyager http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photo...90-Voyager.htm uber cool...not.

Failing that, invest in some Kreiga gear, waterproof and cool.

4. Re: Any engineers here? 
    Diamond Member
    I can do this for around £40. Doubt I could buy good kriega gear that cheap? Plus I don't want a rucksack n my back, I want the box on the bike so suit and shirt don't get so creased on way into the office....

5. Re: Any engineers here? 
    What a WUSS!!
    If you are that worried about your keks getting damp or creased........catch a bus or drive.. :'( :'(

;D ;D ;D

6. Re: Any engineers here? 
    Platinum Member
    Get a US20 Tailpack then, granted it will cost you more than £40, but it will fit all that and more and be 100% waterproof. Or you can have my Spinexx 3in1 tailpack jobby for £20, it's huge and with a canoe bag inside it is 100% waterproof too

7. Re: Any engineers here? 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackandchrome
    What a WUSS!!
    If you are that worried about your keks getting damp or creased........catch a bus or drive.. :'( :'(

;D ;D ;D
    It's my laptop that's expensive, with a 60 mile commute into the office I need a decent solution!

8. Re: Any engineers here? 
    Ghost regularly rides up & down to Southampton from Trowbridge with his lap top inside his kreiga and has also taken change of clothes if needed too. It's never leaked. Also used it for touring on bikes, RyanAir etc etc. Pretty robust on the odd trip down the road too....
    I've got an Ortleib bag that's 100% waterproof too.

BB
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

9. Re: Any engineers here? 
    Diamond Member
    Just looked at the kriega website. They're not as expensive I had imagined. I thought they would be 3 figures!

10. Re: Any engineers here? 
    The line-up of bikes at Aust Services last June for the Wales ride-out looked like a Kriega advert, six or more of us in a row, all with US20 tailpacks - they are excellent 8-)
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen