Notices

Thread: ROAD TAX

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. ROAD TAX 
    Just a thought.....

My other half (Jo) recently took delivery of a new car (Corsa Eco-Flex), free Road tax for the 1st year then £30 a year there after.

My Divvi has lower emissions then her car yet my road tax is £60 WHY???? :-/

2. Re: ROAD TAX 
    Diamond Member
    If your car emits less than 100g CO2 per sq/m then it's free

3. Re: ROAD TAX 
    Platinum Member
    My Divvi has lower emissions then her car yet my road tax is £60 WHY????
    Do you mean in absolute terms?
    Have you worked it out per person?

4. Re: ROAD TAX 
    Diamond Member
    bloody wrong if you ask me.......
    sodding "bean counters" set the levels of costs, with no consultation with engineers....
    why does a 125cc 2 stroke, £15 a year with hydrocarbon level measured in buzillions of parts per million! cost less that a cat equipped larger bike????....

fekkin eejits!

5. Re: ROAD TAX 
    To be honest I think most of us with bigger bikes are getting a good deal on the way its done at the moment at maybe the expense of the lower capacity bikes. I am betting if they worked out the carbon emissions on an R1 and then banded it the same as cars it would be more than £60!

Edit: After some research (its surprisingly difficult to find emissions figures for bikes) but the only figures I could find on an R1 were around 170g Co2/100KM, the Govt costs from this website http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...le/DG_10012524 puts the tax at £180 for 12 months.

I will stick with £60 thanks...

6. Re: ROAD TAX 
    Diamond Member
    cat equipped? or early carbed model???...

i had a GSXR750 (carbed model, big cams etc) that sent the CO meter off the scale.....thats 9.9%+ when my 2.0 litre cavalier sri (with cat) was putting out approx 0.1%.....

cats make a hoooooge difference....

7. Re: ROAD TAX 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noisy_lightning
    emissions figures for an R1 were around 170g Co2/100KM
    That's per 100km, so you can divide that down to 1.7g/km so in fact it should actually be free!

A bike with an engine the size of the smallest car, pushing a load that weighs a fraction of that of a car, should not be taxable at all if you use emmisions as a guideline

8. Re: ROAD TAX 
    Mustn't grumble about car tax , just had the renew through for my 1.6tdci Ford Focus and we've had a £30 reduction to £90 for a years tax down from £120 for every year since I brought it back into the UK

9. Re: ROAD TAX 
    Quote Originally Posted by Squashed_Fly
    [quote author=noisy_lightning link=1294662657/4#4 date=1294672301]emissions figures for an R1 were around 170g Co2/100KM
    That's per 100km, so you can divide that down to 1.7g/km so in fact it should actually be free!

A bike with an engine the size of the smallest car, pushing a load that weighs a fraction of that of a car, should not be taxable at all if you use emmisions as a guideline
    [/quote]

http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252075

That's the link where I found the data from, I am having a bad maths day so the figures above in my last post were wrong. Looking at it again, its 17072 gCO2/100km so that;s 170g/km

>

10. Re: ROAD TAX 
    My car tax this year was £220... Not a happy bunny!!!