Notices

Thread: Winter Hack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Winter Hack 
    Diamond Member
    As many of you know I have rested my bike up over the winter months, mainly due to salt and spending twenty years riding thru the winters. I feel however, I am missing out on some great WB meets and rides. If I can save up some dosh I think I will get myself a cheap runnabout next winter. Was thinking of something like a CB 500. Any thoughts most welcome.

2. Re: Winter Hack 
    FZR400, 30K miles, EXUP GREY model.
    Stupidly cheap to insure.

Its the black model, runs great, has a slow puncture but on the plus side, MOT'd til mid-spring and taxed until end of this month.

New chain set on it, currently has a flat battery, but can be bumped easily, and runs perfectly considering age.

I need to make some space, could even deliver it too you (showing my confidence in the beast there) provided I got the full asking. :P

Let me know. PM me bro!x

3. Re: Winter Hack 
    CB500 Honda
    GS500 Suzuki
    ER5 Kawasaki
    600 Diversion Yamaha

All similar (the Divvy is a four cylinder) and cheap. The Honda is the best, but the most expensive.

Either that or a 1980 bike (Honda Nighthawk or similar). Plenty about for sub £1k.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

4. Re: Winter Hack 
    Diamond Member
    Thanks gents. Just doing a bit of research at the mo cos I'm skint after Xmas, but I aint getting any younger and wanna ride more in the winter months next year (well this year now) [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

5. Re: Winter Hack 
    Platinum Member
    Honda cb500
    Honda cbf 600
    Triumph sprint st 955i

My first, great little bike Ken [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

6. Re: Winter Hack 
    CB500. Can't beat Honda build quality. GS500's rot (sorry Jon). Or maybe a cheap Hornet? More fun than a 500...
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

7. Re: Winter Hack 
    Diamond Member
    Ye Mark was thinking along those lines. Had Hondas in the past and you are right - good build quality. At the end of the day it will all come down to money. Thanks tho

8. Re: Winter Hack 
    Diamond Member
    Well, I suppose this is predicatble but think about it:

BMW K75 - easy going 750cc triple, cheap to buy, service and fix. Plenty of speed for the winter, handles well and maintenance free shaft drive. Get the faired version and the protection is good. Old mans image but who cares if you are and don't care for the winter.

9. Re: Winter Hack 
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Able
    CB500. Can't beat Honda build quality. GS500's rot (sorry Jon). Or maybe a cheap Hornet? More fun than a 500...
    Total turkey's..... ;D Was properly had!!! ;D

Nah! The GS is good for what it is. The Honda is more expensive for a good reason. Go with a CB, they handle well, have plenty of go, and never seem to break!!
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

10. Re: Winter Hack 
    Platinum Member
    Any thoughts most welcome.
    In my opinion, don't bother with a second bike.
    We have fairly new bikes (09 and 59) and ride them throught the winter.
    We pay Nooj £60 to do the ACF50 professionally, which is cheaper than buying another bike.
    You can of course DIY.