Notices

Thread: Learner Bikes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Learner Bikes 
    helloooo

my girlfriend is doing her CBT on 5th feb, so i will be looking for a 125 for her to gain confidence and skill on.

she is 5ft 2" short

so the bikes outthere for consideration. i dont belive weight is a problem as being a 125 they dont have considerable weight to them, i guess it comes down to centre of gravity of the bike and ride height.

she has sat on a yamaha xt125 and it was nearly perfect for her. obviously we have the obvious choices

cg125
    ybr125

i was wondering about a drz125sm or a dt125sm , but being trailies maybe too high for her.

no scooters ;D

then after a year be looking @ something a little quicker lowering kits???

opinions please?

she has never ridden before hence starting on a 125 if she had riddenbeforeid say jump on a 600 , but id rather she learns the basics and gain confidence on a 125

Cheers

Dan

2. Re: Learner Bikes 
    Diamond Member
    I would have a little chat with Toph....

3. Re: Learner Bikes 
    What about the ybr custom?

4. Re: Learner Bikes 
    Platinum Member
    Aprillia do a RS125 (Race style bike), RX125 (traillie type of bike) or a tuono 125 more of a naked version of the RS and a bit more up right. hope this helps

5. Re: Learner Bikes 
    I learnt on a Suzuki Vanvan (I'm 5'5) and I found it plenty low enough and very easy to ride. It was alittle lacking when it came to getting up to the required 50kph on mod 1 though, so I used the bikes of the riding school instead.

As for bigger bikes I've got a Suzuki Gladius 650 (I'm not that mad on Suzuki's really...) which I've lowered (kit cost £15) and find that a good height. It didn't affect the handling too badly either. The lowering kits available were 30mm and 50mm but I only needed the 30mm.

6. Re: Learner Bikes 
    I'm 5'1" and I did my CBT on a CG125, I was pretty much on tip toes but as it wasn't a heavy bike I didn't struggle too much.
    I have ridden a Vanvan too and that was a smidg lower, but as Gladelicious said, it didn't have much poke, but they are good bikes and hold their value.
    I went straight from CBT to DAS and I ride a yamaha diversion xj6s, had it lowered, but still struggled with it as it's a heavy bike, I've now got Daytona Ladystar boots (they have a raised insole) and they make a big difference.
    Vivi has a honda 125 not sure of the model but it's a nice white one :-[ ;D ;D and I've sat on it and leg length wasn't too bad.
    Really depends on if your girlfriend is leggy or stumpy (like me ;D)
    It's Lilac... not pink!

7. Re: Learner Bikes 
    Platinum Member
    I believe Vivi has the Honda cbf 125
    like this

The DT 125sm I wouldn't have thought would be much different to the XT in height to be honest, but I may be wrong.

It really depends on what youre looking to pay for one as Kawasaki do the D-tracker and KLX in 125 size
    info here
    http://www.kawasaki.co.uk/news.asp?Id=340E092BCCE

8. Re: Learner Bikes 
    That's the badger Simon [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    see I said it was a nice white bike ;D
    It's Lilac... not pink!

9. Re: Learner Bikes 
    Depending on how she feels, but I felt in my CBT and DA course I found that the 125's felt really unstable, it was a bit easier to turn.. but i found my er6n is easier to ride, more stable and a bit more weigh too it.. and more power when i needed it..
    Also less gear changing due to the wider speed range per gears.. just a thought...

But if she is only doing a CBT then yeah she restricted to a 125

10. Re: Learner Bikes 
    Im one of the WB shorties and I have a YBR 125..... Its a good bike and copes with 'drops' really well ( hehe 6 to be precise)... if you are local to Trowbridge she is more than welcome to try it out for size.

Good luck with the CBT.... please tell her if an old 44 year old like me can do it, anyone can ;D ;D ;D ;D