Notices

Thread: end can/air filter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. end can/air filter 
    Diamond Member
    If I were to fit a K&N air filter, and a new scorpion can, aside from improving the sound, what difference to the power output would it make?

Also, can I just retrofit them, or will I need to do anything else?

2. Re: end can/air filter 
    It'll make a negligible difference to performance to be honest, power gains from exhaust changes come when you change the full system to a proper race system with shaped header and transfer pipes to optimise gas flow for the power characteristics required. I don't know which model ZX-6R you have, but if changing the filter you'd be advised to get the bike set up on a dyno to optimise the fuelling for the filter and pipe change. Depending on the model it'll require either a Dynojet kit or a Power Commander, plus dyno time - expect to pay a bit for it all, but before doing so, ask yourself if it's worth the effort. :-? Are you good enough to notice the difference on the road? Is the bike fast enough already? Are you going to race it? The filter will have more of an effect on the fuelling than the tail can, but IMHO you'd be better off just replacing the existing filter with a standard one - if it's been in there for a while it'll be minging!
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

3. Re: end can/air filter 
    Diamond Member
    and when you need to sort the "wopping great flatspot at half revs" after fitting filter and can, give me a shout.... ive sorted a few of these (suggs was quoted £500 for dyno time and jetting kit on his 600 srad by a localish motorcycle shop! i sorted it for MUCH less than that) depending on where the flatspot is depends on which parts to change, some parts are more expensive than others... :-)

K+N are good as they are easily cleaned and very robust, a race can will make a nice sound :-)

4. Re: end can/air filter 
    Diamond Member
    Sound is all I really care about. I'm not advanced enough to get the most from the power gains. Just wondered out of interest really...

5. Re: end can/air filter 
    when i fitted my scorpion end can obviously it was alot noiser.

as for power gains i wouldnt say power GAIN is the correct wording, it certainly gave my midraing a little more punch and sorted out a annoying flat spot around 9k

Dan

6. Re: end can/air filter 
    Diamond Member
    I might just sack all taht off and fit nitrous oxide lol

7. Re: end can/air filter 
    Recently changed the Cans on my Z1000 from those ugly big flares that the K came with to a pair of Blue Flames. Cant say it made any difference at all power wise. But it looks sooo much nicer and barks like a pikey's pitbull!
    "the empty can rattles the most!"

https://www.facebook.com/neil.hudd

8. Re: end can/air filter 
    Diamond Member
    one pound (lb) of Nitrous will give approx (in an efficient system) 100 hp for 10 seconds. (or 10 for 100 seconds) although there is a law of deminishing returns as you heat up the top of the piston....
    1 lb of nitrous is approx £6.
    if your can and filter cost you £300, you could buy 50lb of nitrous, which will give the same power increase as the can and the filter (5 bhp) for 2 hour 26 minutes (altho youll struggle to carry a 50lb bottle! hahaha.......
    also youll have to buy the system in the first place...approx £500 for a good system with a progressive controller, (altho 5 bhp doesnt need to be brought in slowly!)....

stick with the can and the filter :-)

9. Re: end can/air filter 
    Platinum Member
    Bandit 12 will see gains of 10+bhp with a can, not much else that does though, although sans baffle most sound like your going loads fasterer.

10. Re: end can/air filter 
    Diamond Member
    Yeah, but the science pales in significance when you compare it to the cool factor! I've got Fast & Furious on in the background while typing this! lol

I never know sometimes whether I'm being taken seriously, or if people realise my (admittedly warped) sense of humour!

In all honesty, I didn't think you could actually seriously use NOS on a bike? Unless it's a drag racer. I guess you'd need extended swingarms and the like?