Notices

Thread: Retro-fitting Elecrtic Start - Possible?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Retro-fitting Elecrtic Start - Possible? 
    Well, pretty self-explanatory really! Is it possible to retro-fit an electric start to my '86 CG125?

Having had my kickstart go twice, and using the bike every day, I've been thinking about doing this and saving my right leg a bit or work...is it theoretically possible though?

I don't mind a bit of faffing, and between us me and my dad can fabricate parts if needed, but what would I need if it is possible?
    100 Japanese horses now unmuzzled! Derestricted hooliganism has commenced...

2. Re: Retro-fitting Elecrtic Start - Possible? 
    with my limited mechanical knowledge id say

youd have to manufacture a housing for a starter motor... and modify the original flywheel housing to fit the motor in and then find a way of marrying up the motor to fly.

imo not worth the hassle.

also its just came to mind....the fly possibly wouldnt have the teeth on it for the starter to engage with as the bike was never designed to have a starter motor...so ud have to find a fly that fits that has the teeth

3. Re: Retro-fitting Elecrtic Start - Possible? 
    Simple answer... no! :
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

4. Re: Retro-fitting Elecrtic Start - Possible? 
    Sorry Nic, (without a change of engine!) it's not really possible, the engine in your bike hasn't the internal parts.
    I am surprised the kickstart didn't weld, Ive repaired loads over the years, if you grind the shaft to a point and use a full penetration Tig weld, they are normally as good as new.
    There's no feelin' like 2 wheelin'

5. Re: Retro-fitting Elecrtic Start - Possible? 
    Ah well, it was a nice idea : .......I'll be making sure my next bike has an electric start (and kickstart for emergencies )!

The kickstart just re-broken at the same point - I might drop the old one in to you Toph and you can have another go. I'll keep it as a spare for next time!

6. Re: Retro-fitting Elecrtic Start - Possible? 
    Let me have it Nic, I'll repair it for you, you've got to grind the shaft to a point, then weld it, that way you get full strength . I know through experience, I've repaired a few in the past.
    There's no feelin' like 2 wheelin'

7. Re: Retro-fitting Elecrtic Start - Possible? 
    Hmmm, you have a full licence and bikes are about as cheap as they'll be all year (before Spring arrives), ever thought about getting a better one with 'leccy start as standard? :-?
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

8. Re: Retro-fitting Elecrtic Start - Possible? 
    I went the restricted route, so it's got to be sub-33bhp, so it's a 250 or one with restriction kit for me - don't see many around and if I have to have the kit fitted it's just extra expense on top of the bike cost (remember my current one cost me the princely sum of £350 ;D)

Plus I'm waiting to hear if I'm going to be out of the country for two years, so if that happens I'll be unrestricted when I get back and can go straight for a big bike 8-)

9. Re: Retro-fitting Elecrtic Start - Possible? 
    More sessins at the gym.... build strength in the legs???

Alas, I do not think there was an electric version of the CG at that time, so I doubt the facility will be there.

Sounds like you've been unlucky with the kicker.... a new one should sort it.

As to another bike, keep your eyes peeled for a CB250RS.... great fun and physically no bigger than a CG. But it's a 250 with electric and kick so you have a choice.....
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

10. Re: Retro-fitting Elecrtic Start - Possible? 
    New kickstart now fitted - by comparing the two it looks like the old one may have been a pattern part anyway! Either that or Honda have massively improved the quality of their tooling...

Thanks for the tip Jon, I'll keep my eyes open! Same size as the CG sounds good, I need to go to the gym and strengthen my upper body as well as my right leg as I can still struggle sometimes with moving the CG if it's on a slope ;D