Notices

Thread: Remove standard exhaust baffles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Remove standard exhaust baffles 
    Diamond Member
    Just wondering, can I remove the standard baffles on my exhaust to improve the sound? Then pop them back in for MOT time? No experience of anything like this, and I can't afford a new can at present but I like the growl of my mates scorpion so thought in theory this could be a good interim option until I can get a second hand can in good nick.

2. Re: Remove standard exhaust baffles 
    Platinum Member
    Nope, std can on the 6r is fixed baffle, most are. Make your own http://www.pjengineering.co.uk/index.asp i've been toying with it for ages. Or this fella http://www.torquetechnique.com/ is in Wilton, he'll knock you up a custom. Failing that, and if funds are low, see what cans are a common fixing, have you a 3 bolt can?

3. Re: Remove standard exhaust baffles 
    Diamond Member
    Yeah, itis 3 bolt

4. Re: Remove standard exhaust baffles 
    Platinum Member
    9r fits, bandit 12, not sure what else, but probably some more.

5. Re: Remove standard exhaust baffles 
    Try this: Ride along at a steady pace, hit the kill switch, give it a handfull of throttle then flick the kill switch back on again. Do this enough times and your baffles will remove themselves from the can. ;D Also a good way to scare the sh*t out of chavs

6. Re: Remove standard exhaust baffles 
    ....yeah but doing that sounds so much better with a race can...
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

7. Re: Remove standard exhaust baffles 
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_geoghegan
    Try this: Ride along at a steady pace, hit the kill switch, give it a handfull of throttle then flick the kill switch back on again. Do this enough times and your baffles will remove themselves from the can. ;D Also a good way to scare the sh*t out of chavs
    Saw a guy do that with a stubby harris can. It sheared the pop rivets and blew the whole rear of the can off!!!!!!

SF - Fraid not!! You may be able to get your scorpion modifeied though. The scorpion road can is a race one with removable baffles. al it would involve is changeing the end plate and fitting the baffles. Suggest you have a chat with scorpion and see if you can ge the bits.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

8. Re: Remove standard exhaust baffles 
    Diamond Member
    I don't have a scorpion, just a standard kawasaki one. For now...!

9. Re: Remove standard exhaust baffles 
    Diamond Member
    Mitch - just rang PJ Engineering. £130 for a carbon oval can, with removable baffles/Db killer, and the bolts etc to swap it straight over. Come's already built as well. Cheaper if you want to build it yourself, but it involves welding so no good for me.

You can't argue with a price like that though. I'd be looking at around £300 minimum for the equivalent Scorpion can.

If it's not a stupid question - why is it so much cheaper for a custom made can, than an off the shelf one? Is there anything I should be aware of before buying?

10. Re: Remove standard exhaust baffles 
    Diamond Member
    Just don't be too disappointed if you end up with a great noise and a rougher running engine to go with it. The effect of removing the baffle on some bikes (mine included) can affect the back pressure enough to reduce performance. The engine designers would have taken this into account with the fueling and it can lean out the mixture. If your engine has oxygen sensors linked to the ECU it can compensate but not if you don't.

Might not be a problem in your case but wise to consider it.